Good value printer....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dottie1974

Good value printer....

Post by dottie1974 »

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced printer with cartridges that either last a long time, or aren't too expensive to replace? DD only been at secondary school a few weeks and if the volume of 'stuff' that needs printing continues, it is going to cost a fortune!

Thanks

Dottie
Chocolatey Mum

Re: Good value printer....

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

We've got a Kodak which has the cheapest cartridge prices £12.99 for colour and £6.99 for black. They also do a XL black for more prints which is about £11.

It can print on both sides of the paper and do it in black and White only.
It's wireless so doesn't need to be in the same room as the computer or laptop.

Probably a little more to buy to start with but worth it when the cartridges don't cost a fortune.

Hope someone else has some other ideas for you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Also a wireless, EPSON SX515W - very fast, well at least compared to the ancient one I had before! Around £70 online (although don't buy from Pixmania), 4 separate cartridges. Pack of 10 compatible cartridges from Amazon £7.99.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I ended up with a black and white Brother laser - cost me about £50 but a bit more now I think. Toners are about £40 but last AGES compared with the really annoying inkjets :roll:
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Dottie,

We had the same problem as you and went out to buy replacement cartridges for our old printer - only to discover they had gone up to £25 pounds each !

So hubby went to T****o Extra and bought a HP Deskjet 1050 which was £26 or £28 and came with full ink cartridges. It is a scanner / copier / printer and replacement cartridges are £12 each.

Quality is not quite as good as the old one but still pretty decent.
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Thanks for your replies, I will check out your suggestions.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

The last time I bought printer ink for my Brother it cost me over£50 :shock: . This time I bought a H.P 3050A from Argos last weekend. It cost £50 and came with a full set of cartridges as well as its starter pack! Its also wireless. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Like hermanmunster we've moved to laser printers. We have one colour inkjet for things that really can't avoid being printed in colour (which is inconveniently situated, making it even more difficult to use!) and use lasers (on draft quality) for everything else. The one we got for DD earlier this year cost less than £40 from Robert Dyas and is a Hewlett Packard. The cartridges are significantly more expensive than the inkjet ones but replacement time is measured in years rather than weeks! Print quality is also better and less likely to smudge if it accidentally gets wet.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Chocolatey Mum wrote:We've got a Kodak which has the cheapest cartridge prices £12.99 for colour and £6.99 for black. They also do a XL black for more prints which is about £11.

It can print on both sides of the paper and do it in black and White only.
It's wireless so doesn't need to be in the same room as the computer or laptop.

Probably a little more to buy to start with but worth it when the cartridges don't cost a fortune.

Hope someone else has some other ideas for you.
Do you find that the ink runs out quickly?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My osn wanted a printer to take to uni with him this year. We bought an HP printer from Rymans for £29.99. I had almost been persuaded by the Kodak ones, because of their adverts for the cheap ink, but we have been able to source cheap HP ink cartridges as well. So I am quite pleased to hear the Kodak ones run out pretty quickly. :D

Should have read son :oops:
Last edited by Looking for help on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now