Choirs in Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Choirs in Herts

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Not an 11+ question but I am looking for a church which has boy choristers in the area around Watford including north into Hertfordshire. Does anyone know of any choirs?
Guest55

Re: Choirs in Herts

Post by Guest55 »

There's a cathedral in St Albans or do you want a church choir?
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

The nearest that I know of are St Albans and St John the Baptist Church in High Barnet.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Not sure how St Albans Abbey choir works, as I think it's linked to the school. A friends son, who now must be in his mid-twenties, had a scholarship to St Albans school, based on his voice. Later on he went to Purcell to do his A' Levels.
tense

Post by tense »

I don't really know either, but a girl in my DD's class (ie not St Albans!) sings at the Abbey every morning, arriving slightly late for school. She is a fantastic musician too.

So it must be posible to join them even if you are at a different school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Francis Choir at St Francis Church in Welwyn Garden City has a church choir for boys and girls. They do a week in residence at Catherdral choirs round the country during the summer and do the morning church service each week and evensong once a month. PM me for more details. DG
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

St Nicholas church in Harpenden has a choir.
new2me

Post by new2me »

St Albans Abbey choristers are not affiliated with any school although many do come from the local Abbey primary. Most of them audition for entry in year 3 although exceptions might be made. The choir is a 6 day a week commitment in term time. There are other choirs, e.g. Abbey Singers, the boys can join when they leave the choir.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hope this helps.

http://www.stalbanscathedral.org/worshi ... dral-choir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Thanks for all your replies!

I looked into St Albans cathedral but the timetable is not going to work for him as it clashes with school starting/finishing time. I've emailed St Nick's and I also found St Peter's in St Albans and will look at St Francis in a minute. If anyone has any knowledge of St Peter's I'd be really interested to hear.

I've also noticed a choir called the New Children's London Choir so if anyone has experience of that too I'd be very appreciative. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now