mock exam from t---r house in bham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anxious_mother

mock exam from t---r house in bham

Post by anxious_mother »

Has anyone taken a mock exam from this t tuition house in Bham? if yes then how was the experience?
reeyah

Re: mock exam from t---r house in bham

Post by reeyah »

We have. Was disorganised on the day, they didn't use a CD as in the real
Exam. However, pleasant chap organising it in Shirley. The feedback was good. I have to add that it was ridiculously expensive too!
KenR

Post by KenR »

For many years when the Sutton Girls & BV exams were different (std NFER) many parents would use these as a trial for the KE Foundation exam. These exams were always before Oct 1/2 term. I have to admit that we did this with our 2 children.

From our experience I think the jury is still out as to whether this is a real benefit or not.

On the positive side they do get to experience a real exam situation, environment and pressure with lots of candidates.

On the negative side, the SG/BV is very much easier and nothing like the KEGS exam and builds a false confidence. My son along with many of his friends was completely shell shocked by the difficultly and time pressure of the KEGS Univ of Durham exam.

Regarding the TH mocks, again these are NFER/GL based and so the same problems. In addition the children will probably recognise that it is a practice and not a real exam and so may not make the same effort. The only positive I can see is that they will get the marks albeit against a theoretical cohort.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

The only positive I can see is that they will get the marks albeit against a theoretical cohort.

can u please explain the last statement a bit more ? KenR
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Hi Reeyah,
I thought only K--L was based in Shirley ,is T....house also in Shirley ? my friend said it was in hagley road and the exam is held in Apollo Hotel ?
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Hi Reeyah,
I thought only K--L was based in Shirley ,is T....house also in Shirley ? my friend said it was in hagley road and the exam is held in Apollo Hotel ?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

they are both in Shirley, but I think the latter has a centre in Shirley and Edgbaston
UmSusu
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

I have used T...H for DS1 2 years ago. There are based in Shirley and as well as Edgbaston. There price has rocketed through the roof. I can not recall how much I paid 2 years ago, but it was no way the extortionate price now.

I know parents have different feelings towards a mock exam. In my opinion I believe the test gave my daughter and exam like feel. There are 3 advantages in my book.

One: DS1 experienced taking a test in an unfamiliar environment, with loads of children she does now know. So on the exam day this new world will not be alien to her.

Two: Most importantly as Mike has correctly mentioned she was graded against her cohorts. Which to me as a parent gave me an indication on where she was against her competition.

Three: DS1 was marked against the 4 keys area and any weakness were highlighted and I knew what number she came in a test against an average around 100 - 120 children.

I did not query my Madame if the mock exam was similar to the actual test. But based on the results I knew she had a good chance on gaining a grammar school place.

Regards

Footballdad
um

Post by um »

Straight from the above mentioned Birmingham/Solihull company website I have copied:

There are 21 identifiable question types that may appear in the 11 plus selection test.

There are two eleven plus papers usually in October or November by children in year 6.

Each paper contains 80 questions and covers 12 different question types. Each paper therefore has a different mixture of question types. Each type of question could be covered at least once over the two papers, some may appear twice. Papers will vary from school to school, but don't worry we will prepare children comprehensively for all the relevant formats.

Children answer the questions using a multiple choice answer sheet. They need to mark one or two answers from a choice of five or six options, depending on the question type.

The answer sheets bear a resemblance to lottery number forms and are completed by striking through the appropriate answer box with a pencil.

Children get the chance to experience all these types of questions in the familiarization pack provided by Bucks County Council. This contains a work book covering all the types of questions that might appear on the real test. This year there are 3 practice papers, although we are not sure whether all three will be part of the pack. The familiarization packs provided by the schools before the summer holidays and the practice tests taken in school in September. If you are an applicant from outside the county, or in a school outside the county, the pack will be mailed to you or your primary school only when you register to take the examination.

Children have 50 minutes to complete each test.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Edit: In order not to confuse any forum users may I also add that the above information is incorrect
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

um wrote:Children get the chance to experience all these types of questions in the familiarization pack provided by Bucks County Council. This contains a work book covering all the types of questions that might appear on the real test. This year there are 3 practice papers, although we are not sure whether all three will be part of the pack. The familiarization packs provided by the schools before the summer holidays and the practice tests taken in school in September. If you are an applicant from outside the county, or in a school outside the county, the pack will be mailed to you or your primary school only when you register to take the examination.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Edit: In order not to confuse any forum users may I also add that the above information is incorrect
Incorrect not only in the context it is given, but also ill-informed in the context it was "lifted" from, .i.e. Bucks. The same three papers have been provided since time immemorial. As you say, um, :roll: :roll: :roll: