School preference dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ninja11

School preference dilemma

Post by ninja11 »

We have to decide the preference order on secondary school transfer form and I am double minded about it now.
Due to recent work changes we moved to live quite close to a good church girls school(The green school). It is about 5-8 minutes drive and 10 min direct bus ride from our place i.e. about 1.7 miles(as per google map) and there is a good chance that my dd will get place due to our church membership.
Berkshire schools are bit far from our place (Isleworth) and TGS(Tiffin) is comparatively closer (about 6 miles). I initially thought that I would put Tiffin as first preference and church school as second. TGS is about 25-30 minutes drive from our home.
Now I feel even more strongly that it would be better for my dd to go to church school due to travel time, convenience and company(some girls from our neighborhood are going there).
My dd worked really hard and almost ready for her TGS & Berkshire grammar school’s exams. She really wants to go to TGS.
I have this dilemma now that if I put church school as first preference and my dd does well in Tiffin’s exam, she will be offered church school it will be unfair on her. All this hard work and practice papers..for what. What should I do? There are children traveling from much further than us but they might not have an alternative.
Does anyone know how long it takes to travel via bus from hounslow/Isleworth area to TGS or if there are private buses? Has anybody else been in similar situation? Any opinions about the green school?
laretta

Re: School preference dilemma

Post by laretta »

Hi

I don't know about The Green School so I can't help you there, but as you have asked for advice on all issues...

Tiffin is a wonderful school and if your daughter has been preparing for the exam for some time, it would seem a little harsh to not put it first on the list, especially if she really wants to go there.
I am in a similar position with regards to our 2nd and 3rd choices (should we be so lucky) between Tiffin and Wallington Girls. Wallington is much nearer for us whereas Tiffin would require a substantial amount of travel for DD2. I have left the decision up to DD as she is the one who will have to make the journey on a daily basis. Following the open days, if it were not for the travel, she would have chosen Tiffin without a second thought. However she is still undecided. I thought we would look at the subjects offered to see if this will help her make her mind up.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Some things to bear in mind are: is the Green school oversubscribed? Is it selective? If your daughter doesn't get into Tiffin then does she have a very good chance of getting into Green School? And if she does get in, but turns Tiffin down, will that mean a loss of place at The Green School?

I think you need to decide which school you prefer. But bear in mind that if you don't put Tiffin first, and she gets into The Green school, even if she gets top marks in the whole year at Tiffin, the council won't offer her a place there, as she'll have been allocated her first choice already, so you can't retrospectively change your mind.
ninja11

Post by ninja11 »

Hi Laretta & menagerie
Tiffin is Tiffin and there is no guarantee of getting into top list, no matter how bright dc is. I agree that it will be harsh to not to put it as first choice as my dd really wants to go there. Green school is oversubscribed but not selective.
I should really let my daughter decide about first choice but I cannot stop worrying about commute. It is a good idea to compare the subjects offered.
Many thanks for your time and replies
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Tiffin Girls is very strict on arriving on time. 3 lates = detention, no excuses allowed such as late running public transport.
ninja11

Post by ninja11 »

Thanks for info Suzanne.
Does anyone know about private school busses for Tiffin girls school? Tried google and could not find anything.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Check the TfL site for travel time to Tiffin. I'd be surprised if there were private buses running from Isleworth to Tiffin as it's not really that far.

I agree with laretta that it would be a shame for your daughter's hard work to go to waste by not putting Tiffin as first preference and losing the chance of a possible place if she does well enough in the exam.