West Kent school visits

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

West Kent school visits

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

If like us you're making the rounds of the West Kent schools (grammars and others) this week and over the next few weeks your thoughts, observations, and impressions would be welcomed..

We visited Bennett Memorial on Monday just gone and I personally liked it, was impressed by the head, and they seem to be doing better each year at GCSE and A-level.

Best, Villagedad
scarlett

Re: West Kent school visits

Post by scarlett »

Hi Villagedad, we looked round Bennett last year and yes, the Head is quite something, isn't he ? I felt really buoyed up by him and felt that my child would be nurtured in every single way. I had earmarked it if DS1 had just scraped through and to be honest if my 3 could all be guaranteed a place there , that would definitely be my first choice . I liked the way the teachers were all friendly and pushed themselves forward to speak to you . We visited one grammar , not in W Kent , where the teachers actually avoided eye contact and moved away when you went over to speak to them. ( not just me, before you wonder if perhaps I smell....lots of people commented on it ! ) I was really put off.
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's the wonder of these forums, we can't smell one another, but no I'd never thought you would smell Scarlett, and if you did it would be of roast chicken and apple crumble.

I've never been to Bennett, but I like the headmaster's blog, particularly the bit where he talks about having failed the 11+ but having a 1st from Cambridge. It offers a broad curriculum, and I like the fact it is co-ed.

I know children who have just come out of there with great GCSE results who have surprised their grammar friends with how well they did. When I read about it I feel I will have a hard decision when my time comes to choose between a grammar and Bennett if it still is at is now.

The head does school trips to classical sights ......... how many heads do that?
doodles

Post by doodles »

We start next week with Judd, Skinners and TWGSB. We don't qualify for Bennett as we are not churchgoers.

Will be interesting to do the rounds again with a completely and totally different child.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DS1 is helping out with the open evening in a couple of weeks time at MGS and we thought we would kill 2 birds with one stone and take DS2 to look around and spy on DS1 at the same time ! I'm wondering how differently I will feel about the school now I already have one child in it !
Last edited by scarlett on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My DS wil be showing people around at Judd. Hope he gives you a good impression!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

pheasantchick wrote:My DS wil be showing people around at Judd. Hope he gives you a good impression!
Likewise at Skinners! DS2 is looking forward to embarrassing his big brother!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

we too looked around Bennett on tuesday. We liked the friendly (and young! :wink: ) teachers who all sais hello to mt son and chatted to him, rather than us.
The children all seemed lovely and the range of work displayed was refreshing. Huge amont of people looking though...particularly high intake for the next couple of years or always that busy? :(
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

tonbridgemum wrote:Huge amont of people looking though...particularly high intake for the next couple of years or always that busy? :(
I thought I'd read somewhere that the current and next couple of years were low birth years for Kent so may make getting into Bennett slightly less difficult :?: Anyone else heard that :?:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I think it was a low birth rate for our DC year.Not sure if that will make much of a difference.Bennett is always really popular due to being the best plan b for most people plus the lottery of getting a grammar place if you live round about Tunbridge wells. On a positive note, I do know of lots of people who have applied for Bennett over the years and seemed to all get in... :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now