The Big Schools Lottery

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

The Big Schools Lottery

Post by um »

Does anyone remember the documentary (I think it was 3 parts, 2 years ago on BBC2) called the Big Schools Lottery.
It focused on schools choices in Birmingham.

I can't find it on YouTube or anywhere on the web...anyone know where I can download the programs again please? - or have a copy :D
starmum2000

Re: The Big Schools Lottery

Post by starmum2000 »

Yes, I remember watching it with fascination, it followed several families, some of whom were trying for superselectives, some doing copious amounts of tuition, & it even followed them on results day which in some cases was heart-breaking :cry:
It was great watching the admin sorting out the offers too, gave a real insight.
Sorry, hasn't really helped you to find a copy!!
I'll have a scour, maybe its something they might repeat on the 'lesser' channels?
Starmum x
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

um wrote:Does anyone remember the documentary
Yes. Sorry going off topic.

But burnt into my brain is May Contain Nuts.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/may_contain_nuts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the going gets tough, the mums get tougher! May Contain Nuts is a two-part comedy drama which follows the bullying, back-stabbing, competing and cheating undertaken by pushy parents who are trying to get their kids into the best schools.

Alice and David Chaplin have moved with their three young children to a safe, leafy, gated community in South West London. There they meet other parents Ffion, Philip and Sarah. They're soon catapulted into a world where parental anxiety about education has reached fever pitch and where people will stop at nothing to ensure their children get a place at 'the best' school.
Ouch! Painfully, embarrassingly funny.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

http://www.BBC.co.uk/programmes/b00tqsbh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully this a link to the programme.