It's so easy to panic isn't it

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bemily

It's so easy to panic isn't it

Post by Bemily »

Especially with just a week to go. Dd has always always scored 85 % to well over 90. Yesterday she did a full length Walsh and got only 75 %... I didn't tell her the score but now I'm worrying/panicking! Not sure what to do!
Marylou

Re: It's so easy to panic isn't it

Post by Marylou »

If you do a search for Walsh on this site you'll find that those papers are generally regarded as being more difficult than the real thing. :)
Marylou
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Don't panic. Just go through the ones she got wrong on the Walsh paper. Were the mistakes scattered or on one particular section? If it is the latter then spend a little time on that section, maybe there is something your DD hasn't quite mastered. You could find some other examples from other papers because some of the sections will probably be second nature by now and won't need much more help. It could be that your DD was tired or hungry when she tackled the paper or just a bit fed up and didn't do her best. Some of the Walsh questions are challenging but not unrealistic. There will be some harder questions.

Some people stop the work this week but I am of the opinion that there is still time to tweak if there is a weak section. With DD1 we only found out about 11+ really late so didn't have much time and she was still a bit weak on one or two sections. She had the day before the exam off and we nailed them. She passed. I am not saying everyone should do this but all I am saying is don't panic or give up, just calmly go over her mistakes and keep giving her confidence. Make sure she knows the exam techniques and doesn't leave blanks. If you are a panicker then get DH or a calm relative or friend to take your DD for the test. My DH takes because I know my nerves will be shredded on the day!

Fingers crossed for you and DD. This week is awful isn't it? I am on the third time and it is no better.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

We too have had a couple of days off to forget about it and it was really nice. This time next week it will all be over. Yay!!
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

mum23* wrote:We too have had a couple of days off to forget about it and it was really nice. This time next week it will all be over. Yay!!
But it won't be over for us, because we'll be chewing our nails waiting to find out the results... :shock: Looking forward to sometime about the 16th Oct, that's me. Because whatever the outcome, at least I'll know it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now