Results Envelopes - Myth or Legend!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moneypenny63

Results Envelopes - Myth or Legend!

Post by moneypenny63 »

Ok I am a bit nervous as this is my 1st ever post - but I have to ask what is most probably a very silly question: I have been told that you know whether or not your child has passed their 11+ by the colour of the results envelope. I am not going to say which colour is a pass and which is a non-pass just in case it is true and some of you don't want to know - I have been told this by a Bexley mum who has past experience of the 11+. Does anyone know anything about this - or is it another one of them 11+ myths! :?:
bondgirl

Re: Results Envelopes - Myth or Legend!

Post by bondgirl »

Hi moneypenny63 and welcome to the forum :)

I've not heard about coloured envelopes before so can only speak from experience. I'm pretty sure ours was a standard white window envelope last year, and DD passed. I suppose you could always open it to find out the result?? :?

If you're waiting for results this year, best of luck.
moneypenny63

Post by moneypenny63 »

Thanks bondgirl - I know that I could open it - trouble is I think the envelope colour does denote a pass or non-pass and I have promised DS that I will not to open it - but of course I will already know the answer. - or think I know the answer :? I am usually quite level headed, but this 11+ has stretched me to the point of almost insanity :!: :D Roll on 13th October - when life will return to some sort of normality.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

I think if this were true we would not have had all the 'envelope- steaming-open-and-re-sticking' threads of the past! :lol: :lol:
I'm pretty sure envelope colour doesn't denote pass or fail, but back in 'the day' when I did mine,apparently a blue letter for boys & pink for girls meant a pass, and a buff letter meant fail (whatever sex!!)
This is going back 30 odd years, and actually was told to me by my sister who insisted she peeked through the corner of her envelope before our parents opened it... so may not actually be true either :wink:
Starmum x
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi all,

I've never heard about different coloured envelopes, but I have heard that if you jiggle the letter about in the window envelope you can see the reference just below the address. Apparently, 'S' in the reference denotes selective, 'NS' denotes not selective and 'T' means top scorer.

I'm not sure if I can be restrained enough not to rip open the envelope straight away though!!
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hello Everyone,
I have been told by my DS that I am not allowed to open the envelope. He must be the first. For now I have said "Yes, of course dear! " :wink:
So my mind is now revolving around - what is the best way to find out the result before him, so I can prepare myself, without him knowing and then pretend to act surpirsed/tense?
How well sealed are these envelopes and does anyone have any prior experience in opening and re-sealing envelopes without giving the game away, bearing in mind that our DC's are so much cleverer than we were.
Laylla 22
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

layla22 wrote:So my mind is now revolving around - what is the best way to find out the result before him, so I can prepare myself, without him knowing and then pretend to act surpirsed/tense?
How well sealed are these envelopes and does anyone have any prior experience in opening and re-sealing envelopes without giving the game away, bearing in mind that our DC's are so much cleverer than we were.
Laylla 22
You could always have another stamped, addressed envelope to hand, just in case the original one doesn't reseal very well!

Luckily DD hasn't mentioned anything about getting results, she doesn't know when the results are due or in what form they arrive. I intend to keep quiet!
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Hi,
I am back to the forum now after several years.
My first DD unfortunately did not pass and it was far too painful. However she got into outstanding girls catholic school and very happy there, in the top form year 10 now.
My second DD passed and went to Townley, she is now in year 8, also very happy.
My third DD has just sat Bexley tests and we are waiting for the results.
My DS will be next in 5 years time.
I have compared two results letters for my first and second DDs and there is (N) in the middle of the reference number above our address for non-selective, and (S) for selective. The reference number is on the first line of four lines writing above our address, top left side of the letter.
So I guess we can peep through the envelope window to see the reference.
Good luck to all our children!
Alice
dani*

Post by dani* »

Last year the only way to find out what was in the letter was to open it.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Have just checked our letter from last year and, as Alice73 said, there is an (S) in the reference above the address but I reckon it would be pretty tricky to see through a window - certainly worth a try though. I have butterflies already thinking about it and we're 12 months away from the next one.

Good luck everyone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now