Ideas on keeping children motivated???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sargul

Ideas on keeping children motivated???

Post by sargul »

My DD is a nightmare at the moment, she says she only wants to go to a grammar school. However she seems to have lost all motivation!

any Ideas????

Anyone else having this problem or should I be freaking out right now???
SEP18

Re: Ideas on keeping children motivated???

Post by SEP18 »

I could do with some tips too. My DS is driving me mad, literally. With only 6 weeks to go, I am ready to crack. He is getting the lowest scores on the practice papers and to get him to do some practice, is a real nightmare at the moment.

I thought visiting the GS last week would perk him up a bit, but no such luck. I am tired with arguing with him and am quite ready to quit the whole thing. :(((
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

Its a tough time for our DC and in six weeks it will be over !!!! We have talked about the day and how our DD would like to celebrate completing the exams this has been a great motivator as we have booked a west end show for the family.

I do think think there is sometimes the tendancy for us as parents to 'overdo' the practice and in some instances this can work the reverse and put our DC off. My advice would be to try and put together a mutually agreed timetable? I know my DD is much happier to work at our agreed times rather than me asking her every 5 mins ....have u done this have u done that.

Good luck :D
poppit

Post by poppit »

Try roping in the grandparents, ask them to talk to your DC (away from you). See if they can find out how your child's mind is working, how are they rationalising not working with getting what they want (entrance to Grammar school). They can then talk through any flaws in the logic to see if it brings about a 'light bulb moment'. It should be a very positive chat, with lots of encouragement.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

DS had a good session with the tutor this evening. He is back to smiling and wanting to talk about it. I do hope this continues over the next two weeks before he sees her again!

We have definitely not overdone the practise - only doing the bare minimum. I have tried tick charts for practise days, pocket money, reward charts etc. They seem great at the beginning and work well for a couple of months. I'm just running out of steam - this is DS2 and my enthusiasm is waning somewhat. I need encouraging just like he does, so it is not his fault completely.

Am feeling more positive this evening so "chin up and keep smiling" - the deadline is near and am thinking of what we can do to celebrate that we will never do anymore practise again! Like the idea of a West End show. Will speak to DS tomorrow.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

poppit wrote:Try roping in the grandparents, ask them to talk to your DC (away from you). See if they can find out how your child's mind is working, how are they rationalising not working with getting what they want (entrance to Grammar school). They can then talk through any flaws in the logic to see if it brings about a 'light bulb moment'. It should be a very positive chat, with lots of encouragement.
We are having lunch with the grandparents on Saturday, will definitely try and see if this would be possible. Thanks for the idea.
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

We too had a great session with the tutor tonight and DD has been full of beans all evening ! Its such a rollercoaster ride isn't it......and now we are on it and so close we cant get off !!!!!!
:roll:
sargul

Post by sargul »

sept same here she is far from over doing anything! its mission impossible grades in tests are really worring me :S
the anoying thing is when we go over it she tells me the correct answer :(

grandparents wont get nothing out of her as they struggle with her talking to them at the best of times!

may be worth to start thinking how to celebrate!

glad im not the onlyone feeling it
georce

Post by georce »

Really glad to see this thread, as I have been despairing at my daughter lately. She has been getting her lowest ever scores over the last few weeks, going from an 'almost sure she will pass' to 'a not a hope in ****'. We have finally sussed the timings but at a huge cost. Think I may not have helped when a few weeks ago I told her to just concentrate on finishing the papers within time (previously struggled at this). Now I think she has taken me at my word and just goes for the fastest finish time possible. The mistakes she is making are infuriating me, but she seems so not fussed by it all. I am trying to view it in a relaxed manner, we still have time to get it right. Have now switched her from a group tutor session to one-to-one (at great expense :oops: ) but am hoping it will make all the difference and make her realize she only has one shot at this.
So hard when her teachers and other parents assume she will be the one to pass out of her friends, wish I shared their optimism
moved

Post by moved »

I gave DD a break for a week in September just to give her some space. Perhaps that will work.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now