Is there a proposed time to start 11+ preparation ....?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rekha

Is there a proposed time to start 11+ preparation ....?

Post by rekha »

Hi All,
DD in Yr 4, I've started Bond Books from last year in a very slow pace and my DD loves doing them but it's me who feel very guilty that I'm pushing her too early for the 11+ exams. Have booked a tutor to start preparations from Jan'12.
Last week I took her to open evenings SHSG and WHSG, She enjoyed going around the schools and I wonder if I'm doing everything too early for her or is it alright.... :? :?:
Any suggestions welcome Please.....
Rekha
inmystride

Re: Is there a proposed time to start 11+ preparation ....?

Post by inmystride »

There are many differing opinions on this topic and of course you are the one who is best placed to know what is best for your DD. Personally I believe that it is far too much pressure for a child to begin prep so early. They only get one childhood, and will feel quite devastated if the don't pass after so many years of training.
Wishing you and your DD all the best, whatever your decisions.
:)
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Better to be too early than too late! It could be said that preparation done in a short time ( a few months, say) is more pressurised than spreading it out over a much longer period. A lot of pupils begin tuition in September or January of Y5. Some prep schools begin sooner. What is right for your child will depend on her ability, your patience/funds, the standard of your Primary School and whether you are aiming for a selective or a super selective school.

Good luck!
sargul

Post by sargul »

Leaving it to late your childs under double pressure learning it all! year 4 they can work at nice slow pace not to intense and still have plenty of time to play and be a child! As long as your child is happy doing it and she is not eating sleeping drinking 11+ work I personally think thats ok! even yr 3!

any younger though i would see this as insainity! but everyone has their own idea of parenting and i guess as long as the childs happy then everyone to their own!

good luck

Sargul
rekha

Post by rekha »

Thanks :) to inmystride, First-timer & sargul. Hope all goes well for my DD.
rekha
moved

Post by moved »

I usually began tutoring from January in year 5.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now