Letter regarding bursary application

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loo1965

Letter regarding bursary application

Post by loo1965 »

We are applying for a bursary for DS to attend in year 7. We have been asked to provide a letter stating family and financial circumstances as well as the actual financial forms. Has anyone any experience of how detailed the letter needs to be or any tips or advice for making your case :D
Snowdrops

Re: Letter regarding bursary application

Post by Snowdrops »

Generally, they want to know if you have a mortgate, how much it is, how much equity you have in your home. Any savings, bonds, loans etc. Any dependants you may have and what your inside leg measurement is (or so it feels like :lol: ).

Do they not have a form for you to fill out? When we were applying, they had specific forms which asked the exact questions they wanted. A letter by you seems a bit wishy washy, you could leave something out quite accidentally or, (and this may be the case) include something which they don't/can't ask, but which would throw a different light on things maybe? Who knows!

But no, no tips, sorry. I think in these instances you can only give the facts, being as open and honest as you can.

Good luck with it all.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds a bit odd??? They are sending you financial forms and want a letter as well!

The letter could be anything - from pleading abject poverty to a more measured description of where your money comes from (income trusts / inheritance / black market) - where it goes (mortgage / school fees / expenses / gambling / second homes / fancy cars) - the likelihood that the income will stay the same / increase / decrease over the future years.

Some schools expect people to try and work a bit more, so if only one working may be worth commenting about why - also some expect you to release equity (better if there isn't any!) ... depends what they are after here.

edit: the stars are for the word g a m b l i n g ... sorry the filter doesn't like it!
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

It says: a letter adressed to the committee explaining your family and financial circumstances would be beneficial.
We have the usual financial forms to fill in as well and this letter is in addition to those
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Hello Loo1965. I've applied to an independent school for my DD for a foundation award (type of means tested bursary), and they also wanted a letter in addition to financial forms. The award we have applied for is for bereaved children, so I had to explain how DD's darling father died. It was not an easy letter to write.

For us, they are trying to build up a picture of pastoral need - they have a limited amount of funds, and many applicants (unfortunately for all the bereaved children) and need to decide how to to spend their money.

I wold suggest you carefully read any info you can on how the bursaries are awarded - what criteria they put most emphasis on - and then write your letter to play to that need.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks everyone :D
Tailsmo - hope you got what you needed for your DD it must have been very hard for you. I will read the info carefully and write the letter in an open and honest fashion - just wasn't sure what they were wanting from us
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Entrance test on 2nd December. Working hard on preparation for that!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Wishing your DD all the best for the entrance test.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks Zorro!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now