2010 11+ Results for Bucks Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jules7

Re: 2010 11+ Results for Bucks Schools

Post by Jules7 »

Sally-Anne wrote: Success in the 11+ derives from an excellent vocabulary, good spelling, rock solid times tables and the ability to manipulate numbers confidently. A school providing that background for its pupils will achieve good 11+ results. If the parents are generally rich enough to be able to pay for 11+ tutoring the results will be even better.

If a school does not provide that grounding, tutoring will not make the difference. I can think of quite a few schools where a majority of parents pay for 11+ tutoring but the pass rate is still below the County average because the school is failing the children in the basics.
The more I have learnt about this the more I tend to agree that it's not all about the tutoring. I think that vocab and spellings are really important and this is something built up over years rather than just through some formal tutoring sessions.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Point taken Sally-Anne. I don't disagree that the basics have to be there for a child to have to the tools to cope with the vocab etc. I was trying to make the point that schools are not supposed to have the aim of coaching to the 11 plus exam and that you can do a lot as a parent yourself. I would also say that I am aware of a number of schools where a high proportion of the children have achieved excellent maths and english SATs results (as a result of good teaching in the school) and but where a similarly high proportion did not pass the 11 plus as a result of lack of tutoring to the 11 plus. So I feel that it works both ways.
:) Mrs C
pippi

Post by pippi »

Sally-Anne wrote:Success in the 11+ derives from an excellent vocabulary, good spelling, rock solid times tables and the ability to manipulate numbers confidently. A school providing that background for its pupils will achieve good 11+ results. If the parents are generally rich enough to be able to pay for 11+ tutoring the results will be even better.
I agree with Mrs. Chubbs: there are a number of primary schools in Bucks that satisfy Sally-Anne's conditions, but where the 11+ pass rate is very low. In these cases the Council points to the popularity of the local non-selective secondary schools (either an upper or a comprehensive over the county boundary) as a major factor, presumably because this reduces the parents' motivation to provide extra 11+ preparation.
Sally-Anne wrote:I can think of quite a few schools where a majority of parents pay for 11+ tutoring but the pass rate is still below the County average because the school is failing the children in the basics.
How do you establish that a majority of parents at a particular school are paying for 11+ tutoring?!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pippi wrote:How do you establish that a majority of parents at a particular school are paying for 11+ tutoring?!
Local knowledge. (My spies are everywhere. :wink: )
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

MrsChubbs wrote:I am aware of a number of schools where a high proportion of the children have achieved excellent maths and english SATs results (as a result of good teaching in the school) and but where a similarly high proportion did not pass the 11 plus as a result of lack of tutoring to the 11 plus.
One very dull day I did an analysis of Bucks schools by SATs results and 11+ results. There were a few shocks, but in general 11+ results correlated quite closely with SATs. Unfortunately I have lost half of the spreadsheet somewhere along the way. If I am ever super-bored again I will regenerate it and let you know the results!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I would think it would link to % of level 5s - in certainly does in a few around here.
drummer

Post by drummer »

I know of a pupil who passed his 11+ and then got Level 3s in his SATs !!!! (yes really and not hearsay)
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

i would like to know how this child is doing ! i hope they are doing well, and the school is helping if they are struggling.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have certainly taught one or two children with level 3 in Maths - but they are usually stronger in English.
Tree

Post by Tree »

pippi has a v good point looking at the results from our local schools long crendon and brill there are 58 children on roll but only 11 passes which looks pretty awful but only 14 kids took the 11 plus presumably cos of the popularity of the catchment cross border comp so you need to be careful when analysing these results
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now