Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedandconfused

Help

Post by worriedandconfused »

Please could someone help me in understanding this question

Violin trumpet piano cello flute

You need to find two words that are not related in same way.

Answer is trumpet and flute

Thanks in advance
stevew61

Re: Help

Post by stevew61 »

Violin, cello and piano have strings, a bit of a trick as you don't naturally think of a piano as a stringed instrument.

Edit to add, the sad thing is I am sure I've seen the exact same question recently on checking, Susan D Further Practice page 13, her version is,

trumpet cornet piano guitar saxophone

The trick here for DD was where does cornet go?

Wind : trumpet saxophone (cornet)

so odd two out

String : piano guitar
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

stevew61 wrote:Violin, cello and piano have strings, a bit of a trick as you don't naturally think of a piano as a stringed instrument.
Is this sort of question seriously being used in a modern 11+? Wouldn't it just be easier to ask people if they're white and middle class and have done with it?
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
we also had to look each one up to see what they were looking for and had decided the flute and trumpet were ones you blow. had to look up in dictionary, def. tricky question. now we have to make sure they know their instuments lol. :lol:
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

xyzzy wrote:Is this sort of question seriously being used in a modern 11+? Wouldn't it just be easier to ask people if they're white and middle class and have done with it?
I find this comment offensive - I know of a lot of non white, non middle class children learning to play musical instruments.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is really just a test of basic general knowledge, not whether or not they play an instrument - maybe watching B Britten's young person's guide to the orchestra? - done this year at the last night of the proms.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

My DD has just sat her exams and the instrument question came up in loads of the practice papers we looked at. I googled 'stringed', 'woodwind', 'brass' instruments etc and gave her the lists on index cards to help and it worked.