Dartford Grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

positivemum

Dartford Grammar school

Post by positivemum »

Just been to the open morning and I've fallen in love all over again :D (went last yr when DS was in yr 5 purely out of nosiness)..The headmaster's speech was inspiring,the Year 8 boy's talk was enlightning..ooh and the musicians,they were brilliant!!!! Really got a sense of a normal school day while walking around on the guided tour......roll on the 17th,I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!! :x
starmum2000

Re: Dartford Grammar school

Post by starmum2000 »

We've just been too, I was very impressed. I think DS was too, but he seemed very hesitant on the tour, not his usual self at all. The tour was very long & we had to escape in the end after 1 hour 40 mins.
Can't wait till results day, hope we all get the news we want :D
Took DH with us this morning & asked him after we'd dropped DS back to school what he thought -
"Its alright" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Think I will be making the final decision!
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo positivemum and Starmum

My DS has just gone into Year 9 at DGS and I still think it is fantastic school (and so does he!). Not only is the academic side brilliant, but they do so many other innovative activities as well. The pastoral care is also excellent.

Very good luck to your DSs and anyone else applying to DGS. Do keep us posted.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Ah, thanks Jiff. The boys we saw today certainly did justice to their school :)
Can I ask what area you live in?
I'm concerned a) about Ds chances of getting in (OOC) and b) travelling time
I understand a lot of boys travel from quite far away, but was wondering from what places & how easy, how long it is.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo again Starmum

We live in Lewisham and DS catches the train with a couple of DGS friends from Lewisham station. It's a direct route with plenty of trains, but it is a long journey. He did find it tiring at the beginning of year 7 but is used to it now and often does some homework on the way home. Although it's not an ideal journey, it is definitely worth it for the benefits the school offers.

Where would your DS be travelling from?
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

Hi Jiff and Starmum,

Interesting that you're discussing about distance from school etc, because hopefully if DS gets in,he'd be travelling from bexleyheath. I understand boys come from well into essex. My main worry for now is the cut off mark,411 last year,hate to imagine what happens this year :? ! Just keeping everything crossed that there was a lower birthrate this year and therefore less boys apply :lol: Oh well,we can only hope...11 days and the first bit of torture will be over.
All the best for your DS,starmum xx
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

My DS is in year 7 at DGS and had the privilige of showing prospective students and their parents around the school on Wednesday.
He has throughly enjoyed his first five weeks and has settled in very quickly. He loves all aspects of school life, especially the rugby!
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hi Positivemum, that should make for a much easier journey. Very good luck for results day.

And hallo Trixiebell, glad to hear your DS is enjoying DGS too (although in contrast my DS likes it despite the rugby!).
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi Trixiebelle,
Did you have to wait for allocation day last year to know whether yoy DS had a place at DGS or were they able to give you any clues on the open day/evening?
Just wandering . ..... and also desperate!!!
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

Hi Layla22,

I am afraid that we had to wait until allocation day. I am really lucky though, that I live less than a mile from the school, so I was aware that we stood a very good chance of being offered a place. However it did not stop me having kittens until I received the offer letter.
The school does give parents a rough idea of whether boys have been offered places in previous years, from certain areas. Boys in my DS form, come from areas such as Orpington, Barnehurst and Bexleyheath, albeit they are 420 boys.

I hope it all works out well for you as DGS is such a fantastic school. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now