School uniform

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nada

School uniform

Post by nada »

Can someone please explain to me why private schools' uniforms are so expensive? Do schools get anything from the profit?
Snowdrops

Re: School uniform

Post by Snowdrops »

I can only speak for the schools I looked at for my dd.

When I compare the private school's uniform with the state school's uniform the blazer alone shows the difference in quality. Although the price does seem extortionate (for the blazer) you definitely get the quality to go with it.

Normally in most state schools you can go into just about any department store/supermarket and buy most things very cheaply, there is very little that is exclusive to just the state school - hence the mass production and cheap prices.

Says it all really.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

DD's school uniform is all made locally so perhaps that's why its a bit pricey. I doubt most schools make any money out of it. Most do have a thriving second hand shop too so if the stuff is still good, you can always resell afterwards.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tends to be produced in relatively small numbers - also uniform can be more complex than state schools. Have spent more on indie school coats than I have ever spent on coats for myself.. as for the hats :shock: :roll:
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

At our DS's independent all blazers are Made in England rather than imported. They are heavier duty and have a water resistant fabric coating. The stitching is higher quality too, as is the badge and piping (compared to our DD's state primary).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

trouble is all the nice quality is fine but they grow out of them so quickly !!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

It depends on where the items are being sold. One previous school uniform had to be bought in Harrods. The jumpers were £50 but when they relocated to a store in Windsor they went down to £35! :shock: Even at that price, it was the most hideously expensive uniform I ever bought. Most second hand shops sell items for under £5 but this school sold everything at half the shop price. £25 for a worn jumper!!!

Most schools don't expect regulation blue/White shirts or grey trousers so they can be bought elsewhere.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS's indie uniform is no more expensive than most state schools. The most expensive item is the blazer at £45. I have been told that at a boy's grammar school in Barnet(!) the blazer is nearly double that!
Trousers,shirts and jumpers can all be bought from M&S or John Lewis.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD's was a quarter of the price of the local GS when she was at an indie some of the items were expensive (mostly sports kit) but the skirts (the regulation ones) were about £10 from John Lewis. Plain white shirts from wherever.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I've noticed the independent uniforms in John Lewis , they're quite nice, not that pricey and I always fancy buying one of the jazzy pinafores for DD rather than her plain, boring grey ones .Might get some funny looks in the playground .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now