How was today's paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
misspiggy

How was today's paper?

Post by misspiggy »

So my DS comes home and I ask him how the paper went. 'fine' was his response. So I try to drill a bit further and I find out he actually found it difficult :-( but he managed to finish with 2 minutes to spare (gone is my advice about rechecking as obviously he did'nt get the time).

Now I wished I never asked. He cannot remember much about the paper, he can't even remember what words came in it. Surely this can't be normal? I vividly remeber coming out of an exam and having a post mortem outside the exam hall with my friends. Here I have a son who can't remember very much other than he finished with 2 minutes to spare. Does my DS have a memory like a sieve or is this the experience of a lot of parents?

I even decided to work from home today just so I could ask him when he got in!
svg123

Re: How was today's paper?

Post by svg123 »

Don't worry too much. Let him settle down.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Don't panic. He may just not want to go into it and actually other than finding out what question types were not covered and likely to come up on paper 2, it's best not to dissect ! Give him a bit of time but I can completely understand the worry. Try doing something active that distracts you both tonight?

BTW last year my DD did best on the first paper which she said was more difficult and had only a few mins spare at the end (she used to complete practice papers with at least 15 mins to spare). Hope this provides some comfort!

Good luck to everyone.
mum of five 2

Post by mum of five 2 »

my dd came home
really upset because the class was not told any of the times eg half time ,5
mins remaining ect :cry: she was very very upset about this, in all the practice tests they did tell the times .She didnt even get to finish the paper in time ,even the clock was behind her so she could not see it .This has really really upset her and she is worried about the next paper. What can i do?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh dear, oh dear. It seems there is never a year when we don't get these reports. These are the instructions to invigilators given in the Head Teachers' Manual:
WRITE DOWN THE EXACT STARTING TIME ON A TEST RECORD SHEET AND THE TIMES AT WHICH YOU PLAN TO GIVE THE INTERIM TIMINGS.

After 25 minutes say:
You have had 25 minutes, you have 25 minutes left

After 45 minutes say:
You have 5 minutes left

After 50 minutes say:
Stop now please and put your pencils down.
Some schools also add a one minute warning before the test ends.

Please call the school tomorrow, speak to the Head and ask them to confirm that your daughter's report is true, ask them to ensure that the invigilator's report shows that no time warnings were given and, above all, ask them to confirm that the next test will be administered properly. You may even want to email your concerns to the Head this evening (stay calm when writing!), and follow up with a phone call. That gives you a clear paper trail and - hopefully - a reply email.

Please also buy or lend your daughter a watch for the next test. (If it is a digital one, please make sure that any alarms are turned off.)
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you Jules7. It's just that after spending the whole morning anxious wondering how he was doing, I feel like I have'nt gained anything by asking him. At least I know not to raise my hopes after next week's test. In fact I don't think I'll ask anything after next weeks and just celebrate the end. :D

I can't wait for all this to be over now. I need a holiday :lol:
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

mum of five 2 wrote:my dd came home
mins remaining ect :cry: she was very very upset about this, in all the practice tests they did tell the times .She didnt even get to finish the paper in time ,even the clock was behind her so she could not see it .This has really really upset her and she is worried about the next paper. What can i do?
Just wrote a long reply but it disappeared into the ether. How worrying and upsetting for you and your DD. I would absolutely complain to the school and get them to make an official note of this mistake. You could also ask them (even offer to buy one if they refuse!) to situate a clock at both ends of the hall (they did this in DD's school last year). Also buy her a plain clear "no nonsence" watch (would choose analogue rather than digital personally). I can recommend Swatch who do one like this with a black strap.

Good luck sorting this out and for the next test. I really feel for you both.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

mum of five 2 wrote:my dd came home
Why wasn't she wearing a watch?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

xyzzy wrote:Why wasn't she wearing a watch?
a) Not all children own a watch.

b) If the practice tests were taken in rooms where the clock was visible at the front of the classroom, she would not have known that a watch could be necessary.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

c) Not all schools allow children to wear watches.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now