Bucks CC consultation Document for 2007 Admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yorkieboy

Bucks CC consultation Document for 2007 Admissions

Post by yorkieboy »

Hi,

I've been following the Bucks forum for some time now. My son is due to sit 11+ in 2006.

I felt it was time to post...after I'd seen the proposed admission rule changes which I'm sure many of you will have received recently.

If my understanding of these proposals is correct, then there will be many parents out there who may be affected by them. In particular those who have an eldest son or like us an only son, who is hoping to attend in particular Dr Challoners grammar.

Yesterday I spoke on the phone to a Bucks CC Admissions advisor at length in an attempt to gain clarification of the consultation document, as I could not quite believe I was interpreting the proposal correctly. I consider the document itself is a very poorly set out and even the advisor was having problems understanding how the rules would apply andat one point found it necessary to get clarification from a colleague. If the admissions team don’t understand it how is the average parent expected to? There also seems to be no comprehensable explanation of the rational used to arrive at the new proposed admission rules.

the main problem I have with it, would seem that by comparison to the 2005-06 admission rules, what was rule 3 relating simple "Children living in the catchment area", has been shunted down to what amounts to rule 6.

In responcse to the consultation I am making the following points to Bucks CC:

What is the justification of moving 2005-06 rule 5 ahead of what was rule 3?
What is the justification of moving 2005-06 rule 6 ahead of what was rule 3?

What has changed so dramatically in the Admissions thinking?
Why are local residents not treated equally irrespective of siblings or not? – Do we face the prospect of being penalised for not having a second child in a school of choice?

Some local residents within the catchment area, are now faced with the prospect of not being able to obtain a place for their child at any Grammar School in Bucks CC even though they may live yards from the gates.

Can this be fair?

I urge all parents who may be affected to make their feelings felt by replying to the consultation.

Finally, apologies for the length of the post but I think this is important and must not be allowed to be passed by apathy.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Copies of the various consultation documents are available at:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/consult/admis ... /index.htm
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Yorkieboy

I have read the report and I agree it looks very complicated. However, are they just trying to make it so that you get your closest school and can get younger siblings in too? Otherwise if there is no sibling rule, parents are run ragged trying to get them all to school. It is the same with primary schools, you get the eldest in and then the younger ones follow. Sometimes, if there are lots of siblings, then the others who live within the area, but don't have older siblings, come lower down the list. Not good if you have only one child, but I think this is the situation in all parts of the country. Sometimes you have to look at it from other parents' point of view too - how would you feel if your elder child got in and your younger child didn't because the family over the road lived 4 metres closer?

This was my understanding of the situation. The LEA has to look at it from all points of view and most people would agree that siblings follow the older children.
yorkieboy.

Post by yorkieboy. »

Guest,
Yes, I appreciate the point you make about siblings.
However my main gripe would be why now?
The relative position of the rules has been radically changed. Yes there may be more pressure on places, but potentially my son for example could end up with no Grammar School place at all, anywhere. If I had to choose between running ragged and having a place, or having a quiet life and no place I know which one I'd choose. Which one would you?
Its not true that the sibling rule applies to primary schools. In Bucks it comes in at no.4, the catchment area rule is at no.3 and therefore takes presidence.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yorkieboy/guest

Yes this could be a 'problem' for some. Bucks are sending documents to parents of year 5 in the said areas, but anybody can put their views forward, but of course you can only do that if you are made aware, so thank you yorkieboy for bringing the matter to every ones attention.

This 'problem' could one day effect other parts of the county. I would recommend that you should read the link below and put your own thoughts forward, if you don't the Lea [ or should I say LA] will go ahead.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/consult/admissions_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tation.pdf

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Have today spoken to the head of the Admissions team at Bucks CC, Nick Powelly. To be fair, he did try to explain some of the rationale behind the proposals, but its still sounded very complicated and I wasn't able to follow entirely.

In a nutshell he said that last year was a particular problem as it was a bulge year and that this year he said he is not anticipating any problems with accomodating those who fall within each of the catchment areas for the relavent school.

I also made the point that as there would be a split of area 5 into catchment 5a/b, that it would in effect mean one choice only for children in each area. At the risk of stating the obvious, I think its fair to say there are distinctive differences between the Challoners and Chesham High, and in my opinion there may be some children who would benefit from having the choice of one or the other. The bottom line I was told is that Bucks considers any child of the calibre to be suitable for any of the grammar schools- (thats another discussion for another time).

Finally there will be some consultation evenings arranged by Bucks CC in the very near future. I am told this really is a true consultation and that as yet nothing has been decided, so get along there and ask your question.
Watch out for the flyers and the press releases.

:?
yorkieboy

Post by yorkieboy »

Have today spoken to the head of the Admissions team at Bucks CC, Nick Powelly. To be fair, he did try to explain some of the rationale behind the proposals, but its still sounded very complicated and I wasn't able to follow entirely.

In a nutshell he said that last year was a particular problem as it was a bulge year and that this year he said he is not anticipating any problems with accomodating those who fall within each of the catchment areas for the relavent school.

I also made the point that as there would be a split of area 5 into catchment 5a/b, that it would in effect mean one choice only for children in each area. At the risk of stating the obvious, I think its fair to say there are distinctive differences between the Challoners and Chesham High, and in my opinion there may be some children who would benefit from having the choice of one or the other. The bottom line I was told is that Bucks considers any child of the calibre to be suitable for any of the grammar schools- (thats another discussion for another time).

Finally there will be some consultation evenings arranged by Bucks CC in the very near future. I am told this really is a true consultation and that as yet nothing has been decided, so get along there and get involved.
Watch out for the flyers and the press releases.

:?
Parent of Year 6 Pupil

Consultation on 2007 Admissions

Post by Parent of Year 6 Pupil »

Dear Yorkieboy, Which area of the Chilterns do you reside? I have one daughter at Challoners High School and obviously want my youngest daughter to attend the same school. I, therefore, am biased towards the sibling rule.

My youngest daughter naturally wants to follow in her sister's footsteps. Challoner's High is the only secondary school she has any experience of, she has visited there on many occasions and feels happy in that environment. She will recognise many of my eldest daughter's friends, walk up the lane and catch the same bus as her sister, get use of any second hand uniform, etc.

However, I feel the main issue of the consultation is whether or not you live near Chesham High or one of the Challoner's schools. If you live nearer Chesham you do not get the choice of a single sex grammar school and if you live near one of the Challoner's schools and want a mixed sex school, you also lose out.

In the Wycombe District, every parent has a choice of a single sex grammar school.

They really need to make sure that Challoner's schools can accommodate the children in the catchment area that want to attend that school.

Regards
Parent of Year 6 Pupil

Admissions 2007 Consultation

Post by Parent of Year 6 Pupil »

Sorry forgot to say that the 2007 consultation will not affect me, but I do feel for any of the residents in the chiltern area who have to make a decision on this consultation or those that maybe know nothing about it.
I feel it is rather complicated and is confusing in parts.

I am waiting for the allocation of school places for Sept 2006 and should know by 1st March.

Good luck with your son in 2007.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Although not in the area, so does not affect us, I do not see why siblings have priority over catchment children. If you apply for a school outside of catchment, be it selective or not, you have to be prepared to take the consequences with other siblings. After all, in Essex siblings are not considered at all in Grammer places. You have to earn a place and it is simply the highest scoring 11+ pupil who gets the place. I do however think you should at least live in the County or perhaps within a certain distance to apply to the school. The fact that some children travel over two hours to school, each way, just so they can go to a school with a very good reputation, I personally don't think is good enough. It just means that the children within the area are then also having to travel out of the area, just to find another school!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now