Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Clare

Red Clover

Post by Clare »

You know where this is going !

Anyone tried with good effect ?

I have woken up hot in the night every night for a month now and would like a good nights sleep.

If anyone has tried, is there anywhere in particular that it is good to buy it from. I know brands can differ in potency.

Any other cures ?

Thanks

Clare
hermanmunster

Re: Red Clover

Post by hermanmunster »

Black Cohosh?
Clonidine?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm useless at posting links Clare , but if you look up the British Menopause Society which is chaired by a consultant gynae who works at the menopause centre at Queen Charlotte and Chelsea hospital .There is a lot of information and in particular a section under fact sheets which goes over alternative therapies.....you then need to find a decent herbalist , who can devise a programme to suit you. Let us know how you get on...I might need a few pointers in a few years ! :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Aren't soya based things supposed to help? (Sorry, vague memory of reading something!!).
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Cor, something I thought I'd never see on this site - a posting about the menopause!

Being of a certain age myself (ahem) I have been undergoing these symptoms myself for the last 3 years or so.

Everything just stopped suddenly and I started getting the hot flushes.

To be absolutely truthful, things haven't been so bad. The worst was when it first started and I got hot flushes standing at the check-out.

I then noticed that mine seemed to happen at certain times of the day, such as on waking, and came to expect it at those times. Sometimes they were enough to make me break out in a sweat, but mostly they passed by with little more than an acknowlegement they were happening.

It's gotten to the point now where I rarely have them and indeed that is the 'only' symptom of the menopause for me (apart from the obvious 'missing' element :lol: ).

I know I've been extremely lucky, I've not had to take anything and it's been relatively smooth for me. So, although I haven't been able to help you with your query, I just wanted people to know, just like childbirth, it isn't horrendous for everyone.
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

I have those 'hot' moments brought on by my 'age', and I swear by acupuncture.
I have it every six weeks and it is brilliant. You need to have it every week for the first six weeks and then you can extend the time between treatments until you only need it every six weeks.
If you have medical insurance it might cover the first six weeks.

I still have the odd moment and as the next treatment is due they come more often but it makes life so much easier and barable.

I do sympathise as evening and night time are the worst. Even thinking of an embarrassing moment can bring a flush on. Unfortunately I am not allowed the soy or other herbal remadies so the acupuncture is the only thing I have tried but would recommend giving it a go.

I also have been recommended a chilly pillow but I was already being controlled by the accupunture therefore didn't get round to trying one.

I hope you find something which works for you.
sp

Post by sp »

Oooh errrr... I was in London on Tuesday and kept saying how blithering hot it was (I was all yucky and sweaty) then noticed nobody else agreed with me. They kept muttering about the cold wind etc. Even DH (who's always a hot soul) looked at me a bit strangely when I told him how hot I'd been!!

Will keep a close eye on this topic...
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I love this forum. 11+ to menopause. I can see a connection. I am sure the 11+ sent me into early menopause. Mine is all happening quite slowly and I cannot wait for the monthly things to cease. I have hot sweats at night but not every night and not too bad so far. I don't seem to have too much trouble during the day so feel very lucky. I do really feel for anyone who suffers. Great to get all these tips. I will bare them all in mind if things get worse. Has anyone taken HRT and if so would you recommend? One of my Mother-in-law's friends told me I am destined for crepey, wrinkled skin, weight gain and brain-death if I don't go on it. :( I'd rather get by without it if possible.
hedwigsmum

Post by hedwigsmum »

I went through the menopause at 42. Tried some remedies but I felt awful so asked for HRT. Tablets not so good, patches brilliant. No flushes ( unless you forget to replace the patch).
I can heartily recommend it.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

That's good to hear hedwigsmum. How long do you stay on it?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now