WHSG Myth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sahara

WHSG Myth?

Post by sahara »

I am still wading through all the info, tips and comments on here, and picked up verbally from other parents.The latest being, that WHSG only take a low amount of in borough girls, not the full 115. Some in borough girls may have achieved 303 but won't get in, as more places are offered to out of borough girls with high marks, thus keeping the school filled with more high achievers.
slug62

Re: WHSG Myth?

Post by slug62 »

This is absolutely not true. I heard the same thing myself in the summer. Someone who knew someone said someone's mum had said Academy status had changed the rules and that exactly the same system as sahara described now applied.
This seemed to tie in with the sudden drop in the amount of local girls getting through - 49 last year compared to an average of around 70 each year.
So I rang the CSSE last month for clarification. A very helpful lady said nothing had changed. She said the Westcliff schools were anxious to get more local children into the grammars, but never filled their 115 quota.
There was a drive to fill more places locally (or, cynical me might think they SAY they want to fill locally) because it's a pain for them to have so many kids coming long distances, travel issues, etc, sports clubs etc.
When I asked why they never filled their full 115 quota, she said some Southend primaries didn't encourage the 11-plus. When I asked why only 49 girls in borough got through last year, she said it was just the way things averaged out - BUT she had heard anecdotally from parents that a rise in standards at the non-selective Southend schools may also be having an impact - ie borough parents satisfied with the local education aren't bothering with the 11-plus.
She said a local child had to get around 303 or 55% to pass ... but that was easier than it sounded, because the exam itself is no walk in the park, something with which I totally agree, particularly on the maths front.
sahara

Post by sahara »

Thank you for a very helpful answer. I have been trawling around the Southend schools and also the just out of borough ones. The last open evenings are this week and I shall then be listing the preferences for my daughter, who is bowled over by WHSG.
I was confused by so few girls in borough passing, so hopefully, if she is up to it on the day, she may get in. Basically it is walking distance from us, so the school is ideal if they would like more local girls as they say!
moved

Post by moved »

More local girls apply to SHSG; it seems to have more appeal to the local community. The same is true of SHSB and WHSB, but to the extent that it affects the passmark, which is often over 310 for SHSB.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

An excellent school like WHSG that DD really likes, within walking distance, that is an ideal combination! :)
sahara

Post by sahara »

All is not rosy though, DD has sat down to a timed comprehension paper today and seems to have forgotten everything. Says she is tired and asked if I have applied for her exam place yet as she may change her mind!!
Putting it down to a blip. What will be, will be, on the day.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Yes it is a tricky time. :roll: Just keep everything as low key and cool as possible, try not to show any frustration or anxiety. Sometimes they just need to have a rest from it and refresh themselves, remind DD it's nearly half term. :D