Reading book

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

no_ball

Reading book

Post by no_ball »

Can anyone recommend a good book for a 12 year old boy..
Last edited by no_ball on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: Reading book

Post by scary mum »

Surely no 12 year old boy could resist Harry Potter? The first one isn't too thick and intimidating. Or those ones about the Greek gods? Percy someone?
scary mum
vasu

Post by vasu »

My son loves Artemis Fowl. It is a series like Harry Potter. DS reads everything written by Eoin Colfer. Percy Jackson and Inkheart series are good too. My son is reading Terry Pratchett now and loves it. But it is not everyone's cup of tea!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

If he really doesn't enjoy reading some of the afore mentioned books can be a bit harder to get into. My DS loved the 'Stormbreaker' series but again, can be a bit tough at the start - I would suggest any of 'The Diamond Brothers' books by the same author (Anthony Horowitz) as they are easy to read & quite funny, something like 'The Falcon's Malteser'.
HTH x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Michael Morpugo?
scary mum
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Boys tend to like funny and rather silly books, my 8 y/o struggles to read and therefore would really rather not. I bought him some of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, and he is always picking them up and reading them. Even taking them on a recent school trip, which I was rather impressed with (the fact that he took books to read!!).

Would he be more inclined to read Annuals? Is there anything in particular he is interested in or does he have an idol? Again, going back to my 8 y/o - he is much more likely to read a non-fictional book rather than fictional. You could get him an autobiography of one of his idols (sport/music etc)/
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Was just scrolling to the bottom to mention "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" but someone beat me to it! Also my son really enjoyed the Cherub series - sorry if someone has mentioned that.
freddy

Post by freddy »

The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'Lacey. My 12year old is a reluctant reader too and he has read and re-read all of these.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events.
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
Spiderwick Chronicles.
Anything by Garth Nix.
Coraline by Nick Gaiman....
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Many thanks, I will get one from flea boy and see if he takes to reading. I personally find reading a waste of time when one watch the
Movie in less than 3 hrs!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now