Calling All Nitty Noras.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Calling All Nitty Noras.

Post by scarlett »

Does anyone use those nit repellent sprays, and do they work or just leave the hair looking greasy ? DD was nit free at the beginning of the term but over the weekend we have been out with friends etc and I have had to twice remove a large nit proudly standing on her forehead without anyone clocking on. To add to the trauma I have also found 1 nit in my hair. :shock: They have to go !
hermanmunster

Re: Calling All Nitty Noras.

Post by hermanmunster »

nit repellent sprays will only have a chance if you are nit free in the first place!!

having tried every ghastly potion I find that the only thing that worked was Olive oil applied liberally and then left for 20mins.... beasties combed out and hair washed several times to remove the goo
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Any old shampoo,comb with a nit comb while wet,supplement with nit picking worked. Haven't found nit sprays very effective.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

The only thing that worked for us was the conditioner and nit combing every 2 days. Apparently if everyone did this for 2 weeks there would be no nit problem in the world at all. We did this for all our kids during the primary school years after the first outbreak in our house. We used a lotion the first time and didn't find it very effective at all. We also used tea tree oil as a deterrent, I'm not sure whether this actually worked or not, as because we were generally always conditioning and nit combing, we had very few incidences, thankfully.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I do carry out daily nit picking sessions and regular conditioner combing, but DD still ends up with great big beasts trotting through her hair which must have been picked up from some child who is crawling with nits.My back just won't take any more bending over the bath .
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Both times my DC had the nasty things, I conditioned and combed with the nittygritty comb for three nights in a row. Worked perfectly without the need for chemicals.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I have tried the comb thing with the battery in that zaps them and it works well. I think it is called the robi comb or something like that. It has a setting for checking and one for zapping. I have used the conditioner technique too with the metal comb with extra long teeth. Derbac M which you leave on over night did work although I know some people do not like using lotions. We have been lucky not to have them too often but if I find one that is it! I can't think of anything else til they are gone!!

I did once have children for a sleepover who were both alive with them and I mean you could see them running about!!! It was the first time I had ever come across them so I was a bit freaked out. I told the mum next day who said "oh yes I know I thought they did" :evil:

Good luck Scarlett. I might do a bit of an inspection later.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

We were suffering with the same problem last year at this time . DC and me too. Horrible! I also spent hours bent over the bath applying various lotions and combing endlessly. (My DDs have never had such knot-free hair!) The thing that actually worked for us was Hedrin Once (Hope I'm allowed to put that mods)
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

mum23* wrote:I have tried the comb thing with the battery in that zaps them and it works well. I think it is called the robi comb or something like that. It has a setting for checking and one for zapping. I have used the conditioner technique too with the metal comb with extra long teeth. Derbac M which you leave on over night did work although I know some people do not like using lotions. We have been lucky not to have them too often but if I find one that is it! I can't think of anything else til they are gone!!
I have lost count of the number of times that has been used in our house! We haven't tried the sprays but now regular checking with that comb every three days for at least two weeks should be used.
;D
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Regular fine combing with any conditioner is the best way I've found to get rid of 'friends in the hair.' I often do it while hearing the children read, or while they're watching something on the t.v. because it is very time consuming.

I've never used a repellant spray because I've always suspected they may be a waste of money.

Although I will sometimes come here to moan and complain about DS's school they are very good about nits. They have a nit policy which is explained to a parent when their child starts and the school will intervene to treat persistent headlice if the parents are unwilling or unable - and have said they will report families to social services for neglect if they will not allow their child to be treated for headlice.

At DD's first school no-one was even supposed to point out to a parent if their child had nits because 'it isn't an educational matter.'