new to site...Rugby Dad

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

immatoity

new to site...Rugby Dad

Post by immatoity »

hi

my son has just started year 4 of a good school ,academically speaking, in Rugby..

Currently it would appear he is capable of doing well in the 11+, but naturally that is dependent upon how he performs this year...

We have a parent's consultation next week, where I will ask their opinion on his suitability to sit the exam based on current performance etc.

I have been toying with the idea of potentially getting a tutor for him, but I have 2 worries/concerns..

1) I am a tad "old school", in that part of me believes they are either naturally able or not.

2) From browsing the internet and this site it would appear very difficult to find a good, local tutor, even if I can get over concern 1 above. :)
Preston

Re: new to site...Rugby Dad

Post by Preston »

Hi immatoity

Firstly, you'll get slapped for looking for a tutor via this forum; have a poke around the website, as I believe there are dedicated 'tutors advertising services' type thing going on.

Regarding your first point, boys tend to mature later than girls but this tends to apply to behavioural issues rather than intellectual ability. If your boy is good at Maths/problem solving etc then fine; you're lucky....!

The real heartache stories of those that just miss out on the 11+ tend to be, in my experience, diligent and mature beyond their years girls who, whilst being exceptionally well read (with parents mistaking their poise and confidence for academic potential), ain't much good at deductive logic. By contrast, boys strong in this area from supportive and well educated households invariably pass; it is the male quants from low income households that tend to struggle, which is a real social justice issue.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Preston wrote:Hi immatoity

Firstly, you'll get slapped for looking for a tutor via this forum; have a poke around the website, as I believe there are dedicated 'tutors advertising services' type thing going on.

absolutely no wrist slapping - just ask that any recommendations about tutors are made via private messages.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Preston wrote:Firstly, you'll get slapped for looking for a tutor via this forum; have a poke around the website, as I believe there are dedicated 'tutors advertising services' type thing going on.
I must correct you, Preston, even if having good reason to slap a man remains one of my unfulfilled lifetime ambitions. :D

Members are welcome to request recommendations for tutors on the Forum, either in the regional sections or on the Tutors section http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... um.php?f=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Recommendations must be made via PM, and parents should exercise all the usual caution in scrutinising recommendations.

Alternatively there is a Directory of tutors here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Tutors pay a modest annual fee to advertise in this area, but we do not scrutinise their qualifications, although any tutor about whom genuine concerns are raised would be removed from the Directory. There is also advice on selecting a tutor in the same area of the site http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/11plus-tutors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck with your decision making, immatoity.

Sally-Anne

P.S. Herman has beaten me to it, but I will let my post stand because it gives various links.
Preston

Post by Preston »

...who said I was a 'man'?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

S-A tends to just get a feeling about these things....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Preston wrote:...who said I was a 'man'?
You aren't but immatoity is. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hermanmunster wrote:S-A tends to just get a feeling about these things....
I do indeed, but when someone announces that they are a "Rugby dad", I tend not to need my crystal ball!
immatoity

Post by immatoity »

thanks for the replies... had parent's consultation... he is doing very well apart from Maths where he is in the top set but needs to do a bit better in order to be ready for any potential 11+

I had noted I couldn't get direct recommendations on thread, so will ask for anyone to pm me please and I will certainly be taking a look at that specific section

once again ,many thanks..I am sure I will be back as the months go on
immatoity

Post by immatoity »

just an update..found a lovely tutor in Welton ( not far from Kilsby) which is going well..

am wondering when Warks Lea will publish entry forms/procedures for the exam?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now