Braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Braces

Post by Looking for help »

There was a thread recently about these, wasn't there. I couldn't find it.
Anyway, I'm feeling really bad. My 17 year old daughter is having braces on Wed....we took her to an orthodontist on the recommendation of the dentist when she was 14. She was told she didn't need them. Now the denstist has referred her again, and so, 6 weeks before her 18th birthday she's going to have them. She's gutted, and I can't blame her, to be honest. She will wear them till she's nearly 20, and I wish I had forced the issue when she was 14 :evil: She said to me the other day, I know I need them, but I will have them on our year13 ball, the year 13 holiday (don't ask) and when I go to university :( Oh what a shame for her.
Is there anybody else out there with children this old having braces, and how did they cope ?
Fran17

Re: Braces

Post by Fran17 »

I do feel for your daughter. I think the rules that have been put in place regarding the necessity for braces over the last few years are absolutely disgraceful. My middle DS was missing seven of his adult teeth, it is an hereditary condition whereby any number of adult teeth simply do not form. His teeth were a complete mess but because he didn't have an overbite he could not have treatment on the nhs. We looked into it and went to a private practice as we couldn't possibly imagine him going through life with the teeth he had. I have several friends of all ages who have decided to have braces because they are very unhappy with their teeth. Your poor daughter much be so fed up about it but please tell her at the end of her treatment she will have the most wonderful teeth and will be glad she went through with it. When my son had his braces taken off we had his teeth whitened as a treat. Every time he smiles I marvel at the difference the braces have made. He is absolutely thrilled with the result. You have not let your daughter down the nhs has!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi LFH

Here is the Braces thread :... http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... lit=braces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry to hear your DD is having them at such a crucial time ... not fair really. having said that I have had 2 friends who had them in their mid 20's .. but that is deffo after the year 13 holiday and ball :roll: .. good luck with it all
Looking for help

Thanks guys....I do think her treatment has been really bad, but you can see that she needs them, and I think she is just accepting of her fate now. I know there are many more things to be worried about out there, and we are very fortunate, but I just feel so sorry for her. :( Funnily enough I also had a brace at university, but it was one of those old wirey things and you could take it out when you wanted :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD's just undergoing her treatment now.

Hers is a long and complicated case. She started off 3 months ago with a palate plate thingy (to knock her bottom teeth down, they were protruding too high) and this Friday just gone she had her bottom brace fitted (lovely pink eleastics though!). Sometime after Christmas she should be getting her top brace on. The dentist estimates the whole course to be finished in 18/24 months.

She's just 14, so is in the normal age bracket and not feeling out on a limb like your daughter will. But I can only emphasise what others have said, your (and mine) dd will have beautiful teeth at the end of it. Only she wil be conscious of it, I bet no-one else really notices it.

I hope it all goes well for her. DD's fitting last Friday took 50 minutes (just for the bottom set), just to give you some idea of how long it will take (to fit).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think also braces are so common now that no-one (except the wearer) thinks much of them. DH had them at uni and it didn't stop him having fun!! A lot of sympathy for her though, I would have hated to have had them at that time in my life.
scary mum
Looking for help

Thanks Snowdrops and scary - 50 mins just for one set...aargh. I guess they hurt a bit. My son had some when he was fourteen, so we've been through it, and my youngest one will be getting them next year apparently, although he is still so gappy, I can't see how the dentist can know.

She is having white ceramic ones, and has been told to avoid colourful food and tea to avoid staining. Does anyone know if that's juts annoying dentist speak or can these types become stained ?
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Having had braces myself, they are painful but the end product is worthwhile. There are "invisible braces" avaliable but I think at the from £2695 price tag :shock: they're not for everyone.
;D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

She's done amazingly well with them so far (pain wise) she had one paracetamol when we came home and that's it!

She's got the silver ones and she chose pink elastics, but will have different coloured ones (or not!) each time they're changed - although I have advised her not to chose green or yellow :shock:
Looking for help

Snowdrops wrote: She's got the silver ones and she chose pink elastics, but will have different coloured ones (or not!) each time they're changed - although I have advised her not to chose green or yellow :shock:
:lol:

I think we are regretting not just being bold and getting some coloured ones now. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see what it all looks like. She'll probably just go ot and get drunk, on white wine of course, coz thats all I'll buy her :lol: Mind you she is 18 in a few weeks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now