Pre-test calderdale 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FaxFan

Pre-test calderdale 2011

Post by FaxFan »

My lad has just done his and just awaiting results, just wondered if the pre-tests are generally tougher than the real one?

After talking to a few parents it's clear that many kids didn't finish each paper, some being way off...
mitasol

Re: Pre-test calderdale 2011

Post by mitasol »

Hi Fanfax,

I don't really know. When DS sat the test a few years ago he didn't think there was much difference between the two tests. Last year, someone posted that their DC thought the Maths test was much easier in the pretest but nothing has been mentioned about VR.

If it was a harder paper then you shouldn't worry too much as the percentage score required will be lower than if it was an easy paper.

Hopefully the results will be sent out very soon. The waiting is always dreadful! :twisted:
ghee

Post by ghee »

Hi, my daughter took the pre-test too, she normally has a few minutes spare at the end of her VR practice but on the day she got to around question 75. She found the maths very hard (they aren't her strongest point though) and she couldn't remember what question she got to, but it was 30 something. Hope the maths won't be even harder in the real test!
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hello all, totally support what everyone is saying, My DS wizzed through VR for EGS with lots of time spare...dont know if thats a good thing... and we did lots of prep, thought he'd breeze through NHGS but found VR hard but found Maths ok. Its hard to get a real indication from children ...results day will tell all.
Good luck everyonexx

Q
x
ghee

Post by ghee »

I have just received my daughter's results ( she said I could open the letter - promise!), I didn't expect to get them until tomorrow. She scored 156, which puts her just in the middle of the 25-50% of children. Don't think she would be offered a place at that stage, but her writing essay would be taken into account (for children scoring 147 to 160) and that's her strongest point, so she might make it.

My problem at the moment is that I have had the strangest open evening this week with her teacher. She has the same one as last year, so she knows her well, and the teacher says she seems unhappy (totally unlike her) at school and really struggling with the work (again, unusual for her). She reckons my daughter is very stressed. After chatting, we realised that she is putting herself under a lot of pressure, worrying about "being ashamed" if her results aren't good enough, thinking she's rubbish etc... We r ok whatever the outcome because the local comp is pretty good and within 3 min walk, so aren't really being pushy at all. How on Earth can I make her realise she is doing well and not to worry???

Hope everyone's wait is soon over too.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Ghee,

So sorry to hear that you daughter is feeling like that -they are still so young. I think you've been doing the right thing and you can only keep on reassuring her. I told both my DC that the test is not just about how clever they are but about how clever all the other children sitting the test are. I think it is very difficult for children who are used to being one of the brightest in their class to discover so many other strong candidates are in competition with them.

I really do hope you are able to reassure her!

As far as the pre-test score goes you are very close to the maths + VR range. When my DS sat the test he didn't do as well as I expected in the VR but when it came to the actual test he did much better. I think it can be very daunting the first time around.

Best wishes

edited to add Ghee, I've sent you a PM - top left hand of the screen you should see 1 new message.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've been given some figures for the pre-test

732 sat the test

Highest scoring 25% 164.9247 to 208.3602
25-50% 149.9321 to 164.9247
50-75% 134.7107 to 149.9321
final 25% 99 to 134.7107

*"Using the pretest as a guide ...child is likely to be offered a place on the basis of verbal reasoning and maths alone. This usually occurs when the score is above 160."

(*the wording above seems to be slightly different from what I've seen in previous years) http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 05#p204205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ghee

Post by ghee »

Thanks for that Mitasol, I have replied to your PM. Just for info, this is what her letter says: "Your child is likely to be in the batch of students who may be offered a place after their continuous writing has been taken into account. The marks where this usually occurs is from about 147 to 159.9". So with a score of 156, my DD is happy with that and for tonight we'll just be enjoying the school disco! Tomorrow we'll talk about decisions to be made.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Well done and good luck. Hope DD enjoys the disco! :D
FaxFan

Post by FaxFan »

my lad got 155 so he would get offered subject to his continuous grammar.

He's really confident he could improve lots before the real thing and even asking to do more practice questions :o

He told me that not getting in top 25% has spurred him on to work harder as he likes Crossley Heath.

Not bad things these pre-tests, never seen my lad so motivated..

Keep telling him not to worry as decent comprehensive round the corner but he's having non of it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now