The Wallington Girls results are in

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cheammum

The Wallington Girls results are in

Post by Cheammum »

Our wallington letter has arrived and thankfully DD has been deemed of selective ability. So pleased for her now its the long wait till March
pintux

Re: The Wallington Girls results are in

Post by pintux »

same here. Would have been great though, to get some relative scores to determine what sort of chance they have to get a place.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

We got ours too. Had rather hoped from a confidence point of view that we would get good news, but we didn't. Ho hum! Not altogether surprised, but you can always hope :D . We had already decided prior to the test that it was for practice only, but it still would have been nice to have a positive letter - folks. Would also have been really nice to know her scores and know where she fell down and how far away she was.
Cheammum

Post by Cheammum »

Hi ThreeKids,
I totally agree, it would have been nice to know the scores at this stage. Unfortunately we wouldn't know this until March.

Sorry to hear that you DD did not get the desired outcome but the general consensus following the test day was that it was quite a challenging maths paper but all the same well done to all the girls who sat the exams, in my opinion they have extremely well for their young ages.
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

ThreeKids wrote:We got ours too. Had rather hoped from a confidence point of view that we would get good news, but we didn't. Ho hum! Not altogether surprised, but you can always hope :D . We had already decided prior to the test that it was for practice only, but it still would have been nice to have a positive letter - folks. Would also have been really nice to know her scores and know where she fell down and how far away she was.
Really sorry to hear that your DD didn't pass. Agree however that doing the test is great practice and will hopefully make the next test she does, less daunting.

Here's hoping your DD gets the school she really wants.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

[quote="Scoopy19]Really sorry to hear that your DD didn't pass. Agree however that doing the test is great practice and will hopefully make the next test she does, less daunting.

Here's hoping your DD gets the school she really wants.[/quote]

Thank-you for your thoughts. Interestingly, pervesely (not sure which) I was relieved when I got the result. I think that probably says a lot. The whole process has been very informative with regards to DD, from seeing what floats her boat at the open days, to what makes tick. For a couple of years I have struggled with the dilema of sending her to a school that is further away than the 10 minute walk to our nearest school. For DS1 it was the right decision, for her it was not and I am quietly very pleased that I will not have other members of the family wibbling on about it as it is no longer an option. Equally I think she needed to have the opportunity and see for herself. I suspect her results are not unrelated to her enthusiasm for the schools!
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

ThreeKids wrote:[quote="Scoopy19]Really sorry to hear that your DD didn't pass. Agree however that doing the test is great practice and will hopefully make the next test she does, less daunting.

Here's hoping your DD gets the school she really wants.
Thank-you for your thoughts. Interestingly, pervesely (not sure which) I was relieved when I got the result. I think that probably says a lot. The whole process has been very informative with regards to DD, from seeing what floats her boat at the open days, to what makes tick. For a couple of years I have struggled with the dilema of sending her to a school that is further away than the 10 minute walk to our nearest school. For DS1 it was the right decision, for her it was not and I am quietly very pleased that I will not have other members of the family wibbling on about it as it is no longer an option. Equally I think she needed to have the opportunity and see for herself. I suspect her results are not unrelated to her enthusiasm for the schools![/quote][/quote]

I could have written much of your post. Although DD has passed Nonsuch and now Wallington and Tiffin is her first choice, I have very mixed feelings about all of the schools. We live Clapham/Balham and I struggle with the travel aspect of these schools and the impact on making new friends ie will they all live much closer to the school, will they be unable to meet up at weekends. She is extremely sporty and I know will get involved with all the necessary after school clubs. Add on top the travelling and homework and I really do wonder if it is right thing for her. She is adamant that the travelling is not a problem and that she is looking forward to it (if she is successful).

The problem is there aren't great schools in our area. We have Graveney but it is a very large school and DD really wants a single sex school.

I guess it works as the kid across the road goes to Wilsons but I am still having huge doubts, 1 week before the CAF has to be submitted.

I don't stress about things normally but this has to be the most stressful thing I have ever experienced.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Scoopy19 wrote: I could have written much of your post. Although DD has passed Nonsuch and now Wallington and Tiffin is her first choice, I have very mixed feelings about all of the schools. We live Clapham/Balham and I struggle with the travel aspect of these schools and the impact on making new friends ie will they all live much closer to the school, will they be unable to meet up at weekends. She is extremely sporty and I know will get involved with all the necessary after school clubs. Add on top the travelling and homework and I really do wonder if it is right thing for her. She is adamant that the travelling is not a problem and that she is looking forward to it (if she is successful).

The problem is there aren't great schools in our area. We have Graveney but it is a very large school and DD really wants a single gender school.

I guess it works as the kid across the road goes to Wilsons but I am still having huge doubts, 1 week before the CAF has to be submitted.

I don't stress about things normally but this has to be the most stressful thing I have ever experienced.
It's so tricky isn't it, and so dependent on the child. I also think there is an element of boy/girl difference. Boys seem to compartmentalise much better. DS has school friends and home friends and doesn't seem that bothered at all about the fact these two groups don't merge much if at all. As he gets older and more able to travel that may change, but his better school friends live about the same distance away from school as we do, just in the opposite direction, so whilst we are about a half hour drive from school they are a good hour trip from us on a good, traffic free, day.

DD is much more friend orientated. They matter a lot to her and I could see plenty of grief on the horizon if we said she couldn't go and meet up with friends at the weekend and holidays by going on the bus to Cheam/Wallington/Kingston when she's allowed to go on her own to school.

We are also very lucky that we have a single sex and very respected school on our doorstep as a valid alternative. That has a number of benefits, not least that some girls around here who do get into the selectives chose not to take up their places, and many decide not to go through the stress of bothering with the tests to go with their existing friends resulting in that school having a very strong upper end worth tailoring their teaching etc for.

It's a tough call and I wish you all the best with your decision. I've struggled with it for a couple of years, and I am, as I said, relieved that what I suspected was the right decision has been made for us.

We wil try Tiffin. My personal thought on that is that the best case scenario is that she passes but does not get a place. A boost to her confidence without the ramifications the next 7 years could bring or me having to stress about the decision!
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Scoopy, try having the stress suffered by the local residents who have to put up with people from Clapham driving to and from the GS! Not to mention the stress of the hundreds of local kids who really ought to be going to the Sutton schools but are denied places after the ruling that anyone from anywhere can apply!
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Oops anyone posting on here with regard to being out of the area of the Sutton grammar schools beware of the wrath of Huntlie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now