Hodder & Stoughton

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
charlottesometimes

Hodder & Stoughton

Post by charlottesometimes »

Can anyone tell me if Hodder & Stoughton VR (and NVR) materials are suitable preparation for Independent school 11+ exams? I know lots of these schools (in London) set their own papers but I would have thought that they would be largely based on the 21 NFER types.
Thanks
mitasol

Re: Hodder & Stoughton

Post by mitasol »

Hi charlottesometimes,

I think the absence of any replies is because nobody is sure which books you are referring to. Perhaps a bit more information...
charlottesometimes

Thanks for the reply Mitasol. Don't really know much more as they are photocopied sheets given out to DS by school. All I can see is the publishers name on the bottom. They appear to be from a book divided into units, tackling different types of reasoning questions. They don't conform to NFER VR types, and the NVR units are like no NVR questions I've ever seen
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Which schools were you interested in? That might give us a starting point.

Different schools have different entrance exams, what is suitable for one may not be suitable for another.
charlottesometimes

DS will be sitting for London Indy schools, not entirely sure which yet (he's Y5). They usually say that they set their own reasoning papers but when DD (now Y9) was doing them I based her reasoning prep on NFER for VR and NVR; she passed for all schools she sat for and wasn't thrown by any of the papers.

I guess my concern is that the H&S papers are being used because the school happen to have them, rather than because they are the best preparation.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have a look at the independent section or do a search on the different schools to find relevant posts.
pist

Post by pist »

hmm I'v got an old reasoning (covers a bit of both) book picked up in a charity shop from H+S, looked them up on Amazon resently - all seems a bit extinct. :roll:
charlottesometimes

Thanks pist, that's what I thought. I am going to take it up with the school but just wanted to check that I wasn't mistaken. The stuff looks like it's out of the Ark!
pist

Post by pist »

Googled a bit. Looks like Hodder produces sets for schools, that they are very careful not to distribute to general public. I am forgetting where I saw this, but think it might be the "Moray House" tests...........
visitor1

Post by visitor1 »

Dear Charlottesometimes
what were these hodder papers like? How did they differ in format (if any) to the NFER type? Which papers do you think they were most similar to?
thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now