top 180

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggle

top 180

Post by Muggle »

If your DC is in the Top 180, are you going to put just one choice on your CAF, or will you fill in all 6 places, just in case for some reason another choice is needed?

DH is of the opinion that we should just place one choice on the CAF, but I feel that as we have 6 choices we should use them all, even though 5 of them are extremely unlikely to be used.

What do you think? :?:
dani*

Re: TOP 180

Post by dani* »

Last year we only put 2 schools down. We were confident to get first choice based on distance regardless the top 180. We only put the second school down just in case.

I'm not creative enough to put down 6.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I can quite understand why you would only put one choice down but I think I would then worry that something might happen to the school in question leading to them not having a Year 7 for some reason (school burns down, has to relocate, can't fit a Y7 in, for example!). For that 0.000000001% possibility I think I'd put at least a couple of others down.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I only put one down in north yorks... 40 in catchment passes for 112 places, and we could school out of window!

however as TM said might just be worth sidling one more school in!
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

Glad someone asked this question. as I too was wondering what to do for the best.

Am looking forward to the Bexley open days. We did the rounds in year 5 and I can honestly say I came away feeling that I'd be happy for DS to attend any of them - so just a question of making the final decision after visiting them again next week. I feel very grateful that we are in this position.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Another question. If I put our favoured Bexley school in second position, would I loose the guaranteed TOP 180 entry if school no.1 didn't offer us a place?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Muggle, I don't follow your question. :?
If you have a top 180 score, put your favourite choice in the top spot. You will get it. Job done.
Might be worth putting a second choice just in case no1 gets hit by a meteorite!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Tracy wrote:Muggle, I don't follow your question. :?
If you have a top 180 score, put your favourite choice in the top spot. You will get it. Job done.
Might be worth putting a second choice just in case no1 gets hit by a meteorite!
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. What I meant is, if I put DGSG in 1st place (a risky choice) and then a Bexley school in 2nd place, will I forfeit the Top 180 guarantee? I hope that makes more sense.
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

Muggle - my understanding is it's guaranteed whatever place you put it in.
dani*

Post by dani* »

If DGSG would not accept you because you do not meet the criteria in Kent your second choice would become your first choice, so if you are top 180 you would still be valid.