Comp to GS 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bondgirl

Comp to GS 6th form

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

This is my first time posting in this section and is probably a little premature but I am having a few niggling doubts about our choice of secondary for DD and would welcome some views. DD passed 11+ last year as OOB but unfortunately did not pass the superselective test for the one girls' grammar in our borough (Newstead Wood). She could have gone to one of the Bexley grammars but we decided to put our local girls' comp as second preference. The school gets great results at gcse and A level and it just felt like the right school for her. She started in September, has settled quickly and is doing really well - top sets for English, maths and science and achieving high marks in assessments so far. Our plan is that she will move either to an indie or grammar (st olaves ideally) for 6th form.

My worry is whether the transition from comp to GS or top indie is going to be too great? It wasn't something I'd even considered but read comments to this effect on another forum recently hence the doubts. I would welcome feedback from any of you who have already been down this route.
katel

Re: Comp to GS 6th form

Post by katel »

Why would it be? if she gets the grades she needs she will be as "good" as anyone else in the 6th form!

Anyway, she may not want to go into the 6th form, or she may want to stay where she is. it all depends on what subjects she wants to do. There's loads of time - cross that bridge when you come to it!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed the GCSE grades are what counts - she has shown that she is capable of being at a GS so it shouldn't be a problem.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I agree with Katel and Herman. Go for it. One of my friend's sons just missed out getting into the grammar school of his choice and went to good local comp. He was so disappointed but worked very hard as his aim was to get there in sixth form. He got 10 A*s (fantastic) and went to preferred choice in sixth form. He fitted in very well and got four As at A'level. Good luck to your DD.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

From a teacher's point of view I usually find that pupils from Comps or Sec Moderns who join our Sixth Form usually work harder than our 'home-grown' pupils!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks for all your replies - you've confirmed my initial thoughts. Girls do achieve all As/A*s at her school and my DD is very bright and determined to do well. You have helped put my mind at rest :)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

P.S. when does the worrying stop??? :?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

When we die. :lol:
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Fran17 wrote:When we die. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
;D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:
Fran17 wrote:When we die. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Oh bother and I was just thinking how much worse UCAS was than 11 plus!!!