Head teacher influence

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vanman

Head teacher influence

Post by vanman »

Could anyone tell me how much input the headteacher has before and after the results come out
I understand that the school is told two months before the parents
This was a big shock

In our case, the we are not one of the "chosen" in the school and the head would certainly say far more negative things than positive - though unjustified but even medical info was "lost" when he was bullied by teacher!
Do you think this will be significant if my son is borderline?
Thanks
Ed's mum

Re: Head teacher influence

Post by Ed's mum »

Your best bet would be to speak to someone in admissions. They will tell you if headteachers have any input. When it was the old test they did. At least, that is what our primary head told us. And she assured us that a positive outcome would only be a phone call away. Yes really! :? Things may well be quite different now; if indeed heads ever did hold such sway. Obviously a head should only ever be basing their views based upon a child's performance. They should remain professional.
um

Post by um »

I am sad to hear this - not all teachers are fair and equitable (although most are) and I had a very similar problem in Year 5 with ds1.
Fortunately we moved school for Yr 6 (or he would have had the same teacher again :roll: )and it was one of the best decisions I made...

My understanding is that a Head's report is only requested for a borderline candidate and that this report is to see the academic level of the child within school.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

hi vanman i am shocked that the head is told of the results month before we are, is this every where or just in this county?
um

Post by um »

I am not completely sure if this is actually the case...or Heads will be under a lot of pressure from parents to tell...I understand that under the co-ordinated admissions which include Bham, Warks, Solihull, Worcs and Walsall, no-one knows until 1 March?
Last edited by um on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

um wrote:I am not completely sure if this is actually the case...or Head's will be under a lot of pressure from parents to tell...I understand that under the co-ordinated admissions which include Bham, Warks, Solihull, Worcs and Walsall, no-one knows until 1 March?

This is the case in some areas where the exam is taken earlier in the autumn and then the results are being issued over the next few weeks... the schools are informed in advance and in some areas the HT can ask for a review if there are "odd" results. The advantage of having the results early is that it can (on occasions) make it easier to complete the CAF.

In other areas eg B'ham the actual results of the exams are only known when the allocations are done in March.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There is some information from last year here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ew#p225151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now