An Odd Problem

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bloomers151

An Odd Problem

Post by Bloomers151 »

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with my DS which I hope that you may be able to help me with. Basically, he keeps getting into trouble for reading in class. How is this a problem you may ask...well read on!

The problem is he is reading when he shouldn't be reading i.e. when the teacher is teaching. Understandably his teacher tells him off, puts his name on the board etc. He did it last year but his teacher let him get away with it as he was such an able student. This year (Year 5) his teacher is a lot stricter and (I quite agree) will not stand it.

The first time he was reading a magazine so it was easy to stop him taking it to school, this latest has seen him reading a school library book. How do I stop him taking that in? I know he is probably getting bored in some lessons as he was straight 4A's at the end of Year 4. Besides the 11+ tutoring we do, he does extra maths and is taking part in special maths projects.

I have talked to him about it and I have threatened to remove several stars from his star chart the next time he does it (he builds up stars for a present or extra pocket money). Maybe I should leave his reading books with the office so they get taken in separately?

I am so proud of him for working so hard but this shows a disrespect to the teacher which I can't tolerate :( . Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Bloomers151
push-pull-mum

Re: An Odd Problem

Post by push-pull-mum »

Can't the teacher stop him reading in class? :shock: I wouldn't have thought it was your job. All through Key Stage 2 our primary school insists on children having a library book with them at all times - usually they sit in little piles of 4 or 6 according to the size of the shared tables and the children are told when they can look at them. I've been there when some child has tried to sneak a peak in lesson time and they just get snapped at by Teach - and stop.

I would have serious concerns about a teacher who doesn't immediately notice that a child has got a magazine or book out while they're teaching - let alone one whose lessons are so boring that a child is willing to regularly face her wrath rather than listen to her teach.
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

Thanks push-pull-mum,

The thing is she does take it off him. They have just introduced a library system where the students can take books out just like in a public library, so he has them in his bag.

I don't think it's her teaching that is at fault: unfortunately he goes off into his own little world and forgets all that has gone in the past and what is going on around him. The last thing he wants to do is upset anyone, let alone incur the wrath of his teacher, as he prides himself on his good behaviour.

He just has these blinkers that go on - he does the same thing at home, which drives me around the bend!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Bloomers151 do you think you might talk to your DS's teacher to get her on side and maybe work out a strategy that will work. My youngest DS was self distracting and his teacher sat him right in front of her and would gently nudge him back into reality every time she noticed him drifting off. It worked very quickly. Your DS obviously doesn't mean any harm and is not doing it to be naughty. I am sure the teacher will be pleased to know she has your support and understanding.

I should explain what I mean by saying my son was self distracting. He used to look out of the window, play with his pens, doodle etc. whilst going off into a dream world.
Last edited by Fran17 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Is the extra work he is doing all at home? If so then this will on exacerbate any boredom if he already knows all of the syllabus.
mystery

Post by mystery »

At my highly academic independent senior school lots of us read under the desk, or played chess. I think if we had not delivered the goods we would have been told off, but we did so they turned a blind eye.

Is your son missing out on anything while he is reading? If not, I'd just leave it to the teacher, and make sure he is reading really good literary stuff under the desk. A good trick at uni is just to listen to the bits you need to listen to and get on with something else if you don't need to. You can't offend a lecturer in a room of 400.

Unless he's missing something while he is reading, it is the teacher that should be finding something else for him to do while she goes through stuff he already knows. If she is that bothered about the reading, surely she would. It's a quiet and inoffensive occupation. Much better than some things other children do under the desk.
solimum

Post by solimum »

At my highly academic independent senior school lots of us read under the desk, or played chess.
During the more boring history lessons at my grammar school, a friend and I composed an entire adventure story, one sentence at a time passing the paper between us under the desks! I recently discovered the resulting work of genius while helping to clear stuff from my mum's house when she downsized - let's say JK Rowling can sleep easy....!
mystery

Post by mystery »

What fun! And really no trouble for the teacher. What was your history result like? I tried to pay attention but couldn't. I might as well have read a book.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

solimum wrote: During the more boring history lessons at my grammar school, a friend and I composed an entire adventure story, one sentence at a time passing the paper between us under the desks!

How strange, I used to do the same thing with my friends...during German though, and interspersed with setting up little animal toys in my pencil tin.The teacher would tell me off in German, but of course not paying attention, I had no idea what she was saying . :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

She may not have been telling you off; maybe warning you that there was large louse walking across your forehead?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now