Lincs oversubscription appeal, is there any point?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
binka

Have passed but may not get a place

Post by binka »

We,re in Lincs and school is oversubscribed so will be decided by LEA criteria, sen statements, siblings then distance.

We live 13 miles away and most years the cut off is between 12 and 14 miles. Though there have been less passes this year than in the previous three years so I'm hoping that this year the cut off will be at the 14 mile Mark.

My mum says if dd doesn't get a place then we must appeal. But if the lea criteria have been correctly applied then I don't think we have any grounds to. My mum says it's unfair that as the school is so close to the county boundary then there are kids in Notts who live closer and will take priority over dd. She reckons this is wrong when it's a Lincs school. Is she right about this or are they allowed to ignore county Borders?

Thanks.
binka

Re: Have passed but may not get a place

Post by binka »

Also, why do some grammar schools in the same lea use distance as the criteria and others use score? Seems strange that there are different methods used. If the school used score rather than distance we'd probably have a better chance.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some schools LEA use score and some use distance.. in Lincolnshire it would be tricky to use score (I know Kings does) - if they did you would find children travelling crazy distances to school each day.

In North Yorks - EGS used to use score for oversub ie out of Catchment but now uses distance as I think some children were travelling really too far.

Re the Notts kids - actually the schools are funded centrally out of everyone's taxation and the money given to the LEA to give to the school - very little school funding comes from local money. So really which LEA you live in shouldn't matter if the rules are distance.

re appealing - yes give it a go.. if you have just missed out on distance you have to go for an oversubscription appeal where you explain why the school is the right one for your child.

Many people are successful via this route - of the top of my head acme did this in north yorks last year - her DS was just too far away to get a place on allocation.. I'll find the thread and you can have a look - also will find the FAQ on appeals - come March if you need to appeal it will be the "oversubscription appeal"

edit: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - faq for appeals

an example of an oversub appeal: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=19345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Thats really helpful. Yes I think if QEHS admitted on score we might have a better chance. We are in Notts, so I'm sure if we were in Lincs we would share your view about County. There are no grammars in Notts and I know people in Notts who are less than 5 miles from the school, Gainsborough is their main town and its by far their nearest school, so it would be very unfair if they didn't get a place, but I wish they admitted like Kings!. I know 471 sat it this year (as opposed to 451 last year, but still a big drop from 2/3 years ago)-lets hope its a lower pass rate year + low sibling year! Good luck x
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Binka - you said there have been less passes this year, I was going to email to find out - do you know how many have passed this year? It was 228 last year and 224 the year before. Thanks
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

hermanmunster wrote:Some schools LEA use score and some use distance..
Also some use both! Caistor, for example, use a combination. The in catchment children just have to pass and then the out of catchment are taken on their score which seems a fair compromise to me.

And yes, Hermanmunster, this does mean plenty of crazy travelling. :(

I agree Tracy that it would be rough if Nottinghamshire children couldn't apply, especially when they may live close to the school....

Good luck Binka, fingers crossed that you don't need to appeal. :)
binka

Post by binka »

218 have passed this year. I was on the phone this morning to QEHS to ask. :lol:

So less than the last two years and if dd had passed in the last two years we'd have got a place on distance. So that's given me hope. Obviously it depends where those other 217 kids live.
binka

Post by binka »

Does anyone know what the distance cut off for QEHS was going back longer than the last three years? I'm hoping that the three years ago twelve mile cut off was a one off. But am worried that the last two years might have been the one offs.
GeorgieBlue

Post by GeorgieBlue »

Yes - do appeal!

We are not anywhere near your area, but were in a similar situation last March. We had a good 11+ pass, lived in a named parish within the school oversubscription criteria, but depending on numbers each year our village (only 6 miles from nearest GS) is sometimes in and sometimes out of catchment. We didn't get a GS place, but won one on appeal. Our appeal contained a lot of different reasons why that particular GS was the best school for our DC, but the panels decision just said that they agreed with us that DC would not be suitably challenged and therefore could free wheel and not reach potential at the allocated school (not words that we had used btw!)

Go for it!

Good Luck :)
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Have just
Last edited by Stocky on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.