Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
visitor1

marks on practice papers at home

Post by visitor1 »

Hello
I am new to this wonderful forum.
My question is what kind of marks are other children getting in practice papers at home? My daughter is due to sit latymer in a few weeks and is getting in the high 80s to 90s in NVR. She is also scoring high 80s to 90s in VR (including walsh) . High 80s maths. English is a difficult one to mark but not her best subject so i would say 70 is her best score.
Any past parents views would be appreciated. What is the best prep at this late stage please
2Girlsmum

Re: marks on practice papers at home

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Is the high 80s in maths in the Latymer papers? You need to use these (and maybe Habs Boys Maths - old papers are free on their website). DD1 scored 48/50 in a Redbridge mock a few days before her 1st Latymer paper. She ran out of time on Q29, and had one wrong so scored 28/50! We worked through the tests several times until she was scoring in the mid 40s, which is what she achieved in the 2010 test. The average score is around 30/50.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Hi there,

My DD is somewhat randomly variable and has scored from 75%-95% in NVR papers, 78-96% in VR papers, even Walsh, although she struggles to finish them in time. She's been practising Latymer past maths papers and has been getting 36-46 out of 50, she seems to find some of the papers easier than others, but I can't figure out why as they are all pitched at the same level as far as I can tell. Her English is good so she's just practising comprehensions and timed extended writing, but I'm not doing papers as such with her. I think it's down to how much sleep she's had (she's a chronic insomniac - always has been, this is not to do with the exams looming) the weather and time of the day. I couldn't hedge her chances of getting through to round 2: whilst she's perfectly capable, on a good day she'll sail through, on a bad one she'll miss by a mark or two.

She's away all week this week with school at a PGL activity centre, she sits for Latymer on Monday 24th. I'm just going to get her to rest as much as possible at the weekend, and maybe do one paper each day to remind her what she has to do, but will try to keep it unpressured as much as I can.

good luck to your DD
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Hi Lemondrop,

are you giving her 4 x 20 questions with 10 minutes for each and no returning to previous sets? That's how they structure it there. You need to really work for the NVR test, as after that it's a 50/50 chance of a place. We used a stopwatch for proper timing, then had dd take off her watch and put it on the table to raise self-awareness of time.

Good luck!!!
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Hi 2girlsmum,

Yes we're simulating the exam conditions like that. She's pretty good with timing on the NVR, it's the VR she runs out of time with, sometimes. I know Latymer is 50/50 from round 2, I'm keeping everything crossed that she gets through round 1 as I feel more confident of her maths/English generally. We have the afternoon slot on Monday for the NVR, which is a good time for her, but it really could go either way. Her weak spot is matrices, I just hope that section isn't too difficult.

I was shocked by the 2010 Latymer maths results, it said on the paper that the lowest score was 1 out of 50. It might well have been the vomiting child, but I still find it extraordinary that a child could do well enough to get through round 1 and yet do so poorly on the maths paper. HBS is her first choice, but Latymer is a close second and she would be thrilled if she managed to get in there.

I'll be so pleased when the exams are all over!
visitor1

Post by visitor1 »

Thank you all for your replies. Looks like some clever people out there! Good luck to all your children.
My daughters first choice is also HB and latymer seconf.
Her maths is good with high 80s to 90s consistently in maths latymer papers. Vr is generally in early 90s in most papers in time. English is her main concern. I know HB english papers are very hard so not too hopeful. Never scores above 70 % in comprehension but her story writing is very good.
Any feedback welcomed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now