An idiots guide to an appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
charliecat

An idiots guide to an appeal

Post by charliecat »

Having rang the headteacher and seeing dd2s score I am considering an appeal. I have looked on the appeal section and have got lost.
I am appealing against non qualification, I think. (she failed by 2 points)
What do I say on the day, and what evidence could I, or the teachers/head provide.
TIA.
hermanmunster

Re: An idiots guide to an appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi charliecat

Did you read the Q&A on appeals ?? http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes it is a non qualification appeal you need to look at - loads of info in the FAQ - start there and please come back with any questions.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

As Herman has said read the link above, its very very helpful. And yes you will get lost in all the threads on appeals. Don't be hard on yourself there is a heck of a lot to take in and work through. My advice, for what its worth, is to still concentrate on visiting the schools and taking in all the reasons they are suited to your DD then you can decide which to name on your SCAF. If you decide to appeal you actually have months before you need to submit anything formally.

Having been through the process 2 years ago it is hard not to spend every waking (and sleeping) hour consumed with the appeal :D I think it was the only year i relished the thought of Christmas to take my mind off "things" :lol:
charliecat

Post by charliecat »

Thank you:-) I couldnt find that Q and A bit, I got lost in the revised bits :oops: I also thought I had posted a Thank You earlier but that seems to have gone elsewhere too! I am wondering if you can find out how many appeals for an individual school are successful?
There are other schools I liked, as did dd, one we are out of catchment for, the other out of county.
I think I shall put TWGGS on the form so I can appeal it, as I think that you need to name a school to be able to appeal?
I shall sit with a pint glass of wine later and submerge myself into the appeal process :lol:
DD doesnt know yet, she is on a school trip till Friday.
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Hi, I'm back again after 4 years, just got results today, my son scored 360 which I understand is the threshold pass mark, he got 135 VR, but 113 NVR and 112 Maths (when the pass mark is 119).

Is it worth appealing? He was working at level 3 at end of year 2 in all subjects and was on all 4's when he left year 4. He is predicted level 5 SAT's.

Apparently most parent appeals went through last year in my area as the grammar school had so many spaces.

Any advice?

Thanks
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Charliecat

Successful appeals - i believe you can get this information but i'm not sure whether its via the individual schools or from KCC. Again i'm not sure i think it may be something you can request under Freedom of Information Act. Someone else will know more.

As for naming the schools you wish to appeal to.......again i know 2 years ago you could still appeal to schools you had not named but not immediately after 1st March, 2 weeks later i think. I also think it may have changed a little last year and the dates are more fixed as to when you can appeal, but in reality as a parent you have the right to appeal to any schools within one school year.

Hope your enjoying that wine :D
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...You have to put the names of the schools you want to appeal for on your scaf. It will be possible to apply/appeal for a year 7 place for other schools you haven't named on your scaf but you can't do this until April.In the case of a late application (from April onwards) in Kent you have to call KCC and ask them to send you a late scaf form...then you send it back then they send you a letter to say that you have/haven't been successful in applying for a place. They include forms with that letter enabling you to put your dc's name on a waiting list and/or appeal.

Hope that helps !
Tigger
x
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

As you know the results, it is probably best to put the schools in order on your scaf - the gs you intend to appeal for, and then a school you can get into.

In that way you will be refused entry to the GS, and can appeal - you may have something in the way of extenuating circumstances, and then you also may want to get some proof from the primary school of academic ability. I would post specifics in the appeals scetion, Etienne and Sally-Anne are really helpful, and will be able to advise on the particulars of your case, there is the potential to post into the appeals box so it's not all for common knowledge.

Good luck
charliecat

Post by charliecat »

Thanks everyone. I am going to see the headteacher tomorrow. I am going to ask for whatever she herself used at the headteachers appeal, and a letter of support from her teachers, aswell as her reading age and anything else we can think of.
Usefully this is the advice on the KCC website....Transfer to Secondary School 2012

The appeals process and guidance for admission to school in September 2012 is not currently available.

Support for parents wishing to appeal the offer made to them in March 2012 will be available nearer the time.
charliecat

Post by charliecat »

Still not really sure what the **** im doing, but I did put TWGGS on the SCAF form, and the headteacher is going to by my side as I plead for a place, this has surely got to help, though she did say that other parents would have a lawyer with them.
I have read the Q and A for non qualification, over many glasses of wine. Any other fab info available for me to browse?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now