Year 3 story writing etc

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Year 3 story writing etc

Post by fatbananas »

Had parent-teacher interview today. Teacher said he liked my DS's strong ideas, interesting vocab etc but he just wasn't getting it all down on paper within the allotted time (aprox 20 mins allowed for writing, once brain-storming and approaches to structure have been covered). This was also an issue in year 2 and I really want to help DS address it. Obviously, one can't write a great deal down in 20 mins and DS says he does have a structure but that ideas occur to him whilst he's writing (which makes me both proud and :roll: !). Do I tell him, to write something nice and long at home but that in the classroom, he should make it:

5 mins for intro para
10 mins for main body of story/ non-fiction writing
5 mins for conclusion

does that sound about right?

Is it possible to give setting and characterisation and set up 'problem' within a 5 minute intro para? Is it just practice? Apols for floundering message! Feel a bit out of my depth: with maths, you can sit down with a workbook etc. Not sure what is expected in literacy? :oops:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
push-pull-mum

Re: Year 3 story writing etc

Post by push-pull-mum »

I have seen comments in my Y3 son's exercise book complaining that he hasn't kept to his 'plan' - this is because ideas come to him while he's writing as well - but apparently it's not what he's meant to do.

You're right - Maths is easier - it's either right or wrong.

We have a parent/teacher meeting on Wednesday - maybe things will be clearer then. :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

try and get him to plan his story/writing.

you could use a "writing frame" to help him organise his thoughts.

eg
The story begins when....

The problem is....

The next thing that happens is....

then....

The problem is solved when ...

or for descriptive writing..

I think..

I see...

I smell....

I feel.....

if you google writing frames you can get lots of examples, they are good for weaker writers to get them to put something down on paper, but more able children benefit from them too as it helps to organise thoughts and avoid the rambling and literally losing the plot!

eta: give me maths or science any day!!

By year 6 the children are expected to plan writing first
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Yoyo, will google writing frames now but I can see that 5 pointer/ para plan working. DS, thankfully, also wants to tackle it because he says he finds it embarrassing when he has to read his unfinished story to the class ...

Think we will try and do, maybe 3, stories over half term - just for half an hour/ 45 mins or so - and then I might type them up and present them to him as a little book, to be proud of his hard work and achievement.

Push-pull-mum: I did see the following 'gift' idea in one of those quirky kids xmas present catalogues: your DC writes a book on the provided notebook; you send it back and they will get their story back in a 'professionally published' form. Thought that might inspire/ fulfil DS's desire for a longer, meandering story. But, chances are, DS will love the look/ idea of it but, then, rather go out and play football :roll: :) .
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh it's all a bit silly isn't it. Why does it matter if it takes him 40 mins to write the story he wants to write rather than 20? He's only year 3. My DD is in year 3. I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow it's the same thing.

But why do they only have 20 mins to write anyway? Where has the rest of the school day gone? It's just probably because most children run out of something to say after 10 mins and start fidgeting.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I know, it seems ridiculous. His teacher said that they usually spent the previous part of the lesson, or the actual previous lesson, working on structure, ideas, vocab etc etc, so ALL :wink: the dc had to do was write it. I don't want to stifle his creativity and was thinking of encouraging him to write some epic tome at home (forgive the rhyming!) but I don't think he would do it. He might like the idea of it and then actually rather play football or go through his football cards and I like him doing both of those things too.

I'm just aware that creative writing is an element of some of the 11+ exams I hope he'll be sitting in a couple of years and I don't want it to all be an enormous challenge then.

I wonder how many kids actually manage to write something with great ideas and exciting vocab, correct punctuation and grammar AND neat handwriting AND within the time :roll: . Perhaps that is just practice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now