Whats going on with maths? Worth an appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
starmum2000

Whats going on with maths? Worth an appeal?

Post by starmum2000 »

I see quite a few people posting with scores that are higher than the pass mark but failed on maths - this is a common theme. My friends DS has got great scores with 123 VR & 136 NVR, but only 112 on maths. Blessedmum's friend is the same.
Can we read anything into this?
Is it really worth appealing so far below the maths pass mark, but so high on the others??
scarlett

Re: Whats going on with maths? Worth an appeal?

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I've just posted on another thread that all children at DC school failed the maths part.What feed back was there from the maths paper ? I know friends who in previous years got children through an appeal and it did always seem to be the maths which let them down...maybe the children find that harder every year ? Last year DS scored lower on his maths then the other 2 . :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my theory ( and that is all it is a theory) is that apparently the papers have become more focussed on problem solving, ie using and applying mathematics. This seems to be a weak area for many children and maybe some schools are stronger at teaching this than others
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

You are right - I have a friend whose DD scored 130 and 128 on NVR and VR but 113 on the Maths.

When my son took the 11+ a few years ago those scores would have equalled a pass.

If there is strong evedence of good ability in Maths I think an appeal is worth trying for.

One thing is for sure, next years 11+ DCs will be working harder on the Maths having read this thread!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now