sale appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JMG

sale appeal

Post by JMG »

Hi, does anyone know historically what has been the minimum score below the pass mark that an appeal has been won for sale grammar?
emsy

Re: sale appeal

Post by emsy »

I don't know the minimum but we were successful at 5 below pass mark.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Hi emsy thanks for your reply. Just wondered if realistically to win an appeal for non qualification your score would need to be within a few marks of the qualifying score orif with some mitigating circumstances a win may be possible with more than 10 below? Emsy were you successful by proving academic ability alone?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Generally appeals are more likely to be won if they are closer to the pass mark and there is good evidence of academic ability and where appropriate evidence of extenuating circumstances.
emsy

Post by emsy »

Yes we had good evidence of academic ability and strong support from the primary school but no mitigating circumstances, just a shy child who was overwhelmed on the day. I have sent you a PM.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

JMG wrote:Just wondered if realistically to win an appeal for non qualification your score would need to be within a few marks of the qualifying score orif with some mitigating circumstances a win may be possible with more than 10 below?
I can't speak for Sale, but generally speaking I believe this to be so.

I always find the statistics published by Bucks fascinating.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to 'f')
The qualifying score here is 121.
116/117 - 120 would probably be considered borderline.
It is likely that those successful appeals with scores below 110 (6.3%) must have had very strong extenuating circumstances as well as compelling academic evidence.
Etienne
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for all your replies. At the time of the examination we didn't submit the special circumstances form, but with hindsight we definitely should have done. Do you think would be viewed unfavourabley if we now present mitigating circumstances at the appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not necessarily. You'd probably be in a stronger position if you had done so, but it's up to the individual appeal panel to decide what to make of it.

The question "Why didn't you report it at the time?" will almost certainly be asked at an appeal.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now