NW Kent - boys grammar options?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lass

NW Kent - boys grammar options?

Post by Lass »

What are the options for a NW Kent boy assessed suitable for grammar but with a score under 410? Is Wilmington Boys the only realistic option? It's our first choice school but we are struggling for other preferences for the SCAF as Gravesend Boys not easy for us to access by public transport and the other boys grammars all demand a higher schore than DS achieved.

Where do all the boys with scores of 360 - 410 go to? Wilmington is such a small school; does it really manage to accommodate all the boys looking for grammar places?
GeorgieBlue

Re: NW Kent - boys grammar options?

Post by GeorgieBlue »

It really depends on where you live - depending on where you are in NW Kent and if your DS also took the Medway or Bexley tests?

Our DC is at Gravesend - we are on the outskirts of the catchment but have found good transport options - we were too far to be offered a place at Wilmington but there is less than a mile in it!
malibu

Post by malibu »

Lass wrote: Where do all the boys with scores of 360 - 410 go to? Wilmington is such a small school; does it really manage to accommodate all the boys looking for grammar places?
I've been thinking this too, but that is why they only went out 6 miles last year.
How far away from the school are you Lass? I quite liked the school, but also like Gravesend Grammar - which if I've read between the lines correctly, normally gives places to all those that have applied :?
GeorgieBlue

Post by GeorgieBlue »

GGS was oversubcribed last year - we had to appeal to get a place (DS had passed 11+) - I'm pretty sure that all of the oversubscription appeals were successful, but this wasn't the case for WGSB.

GGS is a great school from our experience so far!

Good luck.
malibu

Post by malibu »

GeorgieBlue wrote:GGS was oversubcribed last year - we had to appeal to get a place (DS had passed 11+)
Glad to hear your DS is enjoying the school. If you don't mind me asking, how far away from the school are you?
Lass

Post by Lass »

malibu wrote:
Lass wrote: Where do all the boys with scores of 360 - 410 go to? Wilmington is such a small school; does it really manage to accommodate all the boys looking for grammar places?
I've been thinking this too, but that is why they only went out 6 miles last year.
How far away from the school are you Lass? I quite liked the school, but also like Gravesend Grammar - which if I've read between the lines correctly, normally gives places to all those that have applied :?
We are 3.6 miles as the crow flies, and just over 4 miles by road, so really hoping that they take from a similar or greater distance as they did last year. We are just the other side of Swanley and buses from our village only go to either the Wilmington and Dartford schools, or to Knole Academy. Gravesend Grammar would mean a bus to Dartford station, a train to Gravesend and then whatever means beyond that to get to the school; hence we didn't even look at the school as it seemed totally impractical.

But I know of several boys with scores around 390 that live further afield (West Kingsdown and beyond) and they must be in a worse position than us, with limited transport and greater distances to schools.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I do know for 2010 entry that Wilmington went out 9 miles before appeals this was stated on our appeal paperwork.

We live in Greenhithe, so right on the outer catchment for both schools, local boys go it both grammars.
Lynda1966

Post by Lynda1966 »

Our son passed with 402 we live 5.9 miles from Wilmington but haven't been offered any grammar - we are appealing but not sure how successful we will be
Dublin mum

Post by Dublin mum »

Good news I know of 3 children who have now been offered Gravesend grammar for boys on appeal freeing up 3 places at Wilmington grammar
Lynda1966

Post by Lynda1966 »

Fingers crossed then, I'm going to ring. Wilmington tomorrow to find out where son is on list as kcc couldn't tell me last week.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now