Is the 11+ for the 2013 entry in September?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
three

Is the 11+ for the 2013 entry in September?

Post by three »

One of my daughter's teacher told the class a few days ago that the Consortium is changing the date of the 11+ test for the 2013 entry and that it will now take place in Septermber rather than November.
Does anyone know anything about this? When in September will it be?
mitasol

Re: Is the 11+ for the 2013 entry in September?

Post by mitasol »

I couldn't find any evidence of an official announcement but it may well be true as the new admissions code is anticipated to stipulate results being made available before the October CAF deadline.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about that. I suppose if DD does really badly then at least I won't waste any options on the CAF on GS applications. On the other hand, what if she's borderline? How will I even know what borderline is under the new regime? You can see I'm being really positive and only considering the possibilities of doing badly or so-so!

Does anyone know how the change affected other counties when they moved to a similar procedure? Does it tend to result in more or fewer GS applications?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It was changed in North Yorks about 4 or 5 years ago - don't think it made much difference to in catchment but out of catchment probably meant more gave it "a go" - allocation was then on distance so the struggle was for more distant parents to work out the chance...

Getting the result in advance (before the CAF) is great IF you pass really really well for a superselective (if you know how well that is :? ) or you live in catchment - or if you fail totally, then don't waste a slot... It is the inbetweeners (or twilight zone :wink: ) that becomes even more difficult
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Can't remember where, but I also heard that the exam date was being brought forward to September from next year. We did no 11+ prep with DS until he began year 6 which worked perfectly. Will have to commence with DD in the summer holidays which is very annoying.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Wow-hadn't heard that! If it is true, when would they tell us?

My DS is in Y5 and will take the 11+ next year for 2013 entry-I hope they give us plenty of warning!
dez

Post by dez »

Can we check with CSSE? They should know!
three

Post by three »

Hi Hermanmunster

Not sure that I understood what you meant regarding what difference it would make to do the exam in September rather than in November. What do you mean by " allocation was then on distance "? I am confused. What would the implications be of doing the exam in September rather than in November? :? Sorry if I ask questions that you don't know. Thank you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

three wrote:Hi Hermanmunster

Not sure that I understood what you meant regarding what difference it would make to do the exam in September rather than in November. What do you mean by " allocation was then on distance "? I am confused. What would the implications be of doing the exam in September rather than in November? :? Sorry if I ask questions that you don't know. Thank you.
Sorry - was commenting that doing the test in September and getting the result in October meant that parents knew the score before they filled in the CAF. In area it made no difference to the number actually taking the test - those who did not pass were able to look at (limited) options other than the local secondary mod - many hoping to avoid this. Out of catchment, with a kid who passed, then had some idea from the number who had passed and the historical distances as to whether their child had a chance of getting in.

Not getting the results before the CAF meant some wasted slots on CAFs for some people.
three

Post by three »

Thank you, hermanmunster.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now