Can anyone talk to me about the 10+, please?!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
souverian

Can anyone talk to me about the 10+, please?!

Post by souverian »

I'm debating whether to sit ds for the 10+ at Whitgift School. Does anyone have any experiences they'd share with me about sitting their sons a year early?

Ds is currently in year 4 a state primary. I think he'd love Whitgift (assuming an offer was forthcoming of course :) ) but am really confused about the pros and cons of going at year 6 rather than year 7. Part of me thinks it's a good idea, as it gives you two cracks at the whip, and introduces the boys early into an environment that could be rather daunting otherwise. On the other hand I don't know if it's asking too much too soon - and should I take ds away from a school he loves when he's finally about to be in the top class?

Also, if they don't manage a place at 10+ does this mess up the chances for entrance at 11?

Sorry for the slightly rambling post - any experiences would be much appreciated!
fatbananas

Re: Can anyone talk to me about the 10+, please?!

Post by fatbananas »

Hi Souverian,

I asked a similar question about a year ago, see below. Whitgift looks like a fab school, though a bit far out for us.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =6&t=17618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
souverian

Post by souverian »

Thanks fb - goes to show one should always search the archives eh?! :D Did you go for it in the end?

Though if anyone's got anything else to add I'd love to hear from you... It does seem as if the general consensus is to give it a try - I guess I'm mainly worried that not getting in at 10+ would significantly damage one's chances a year later?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

We're not there yet; I believe in planning early! 8) :wink:

I think the thing is, it doesn't spoil your chances. You can take it again at 11. It's more whether your kid is ready for it, emotionally as much as academically.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
emmsie

Post by emmsie »

My ds went to Trinity a year early and it was the best decision I made. It became increasingly obvious that he was ready to move from his lovely but very twee primary by Xmas of Y5. The boys in Y6 at Whitgift and Trinity have the best time and don't waste a year preparing for SATs (although at Trinity they did still sit them just didn't do the endless practice papers) There is no disadvantage to sitting the 10+ and then resitting at 11+ as both schools recognise that for some boys a lack of maturity can have an impact and I definitely know a few at Trinity that failed at 10+ but were offered a place at 11+. I am certain that if you take the plunge and get an offer you will look back on your decision as absolutely the best one assuming that your ds has a say I had my son list his preference and Trinity was top staying at his primary and Whitgift was last (the only thing we got wrong, in hindsight Whitgift would have been better)
Good luck
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi Souverian

We did the 10+ for DS1 a couple of years ago for T&W. It was the best thing for us and our DS. We chose Trinity and have not once regretted our choice. If you and your DS are willing to give it a go, I say go for it!
Like other parents have said if you are not successful on the 10+ you have another bite of the cherry on the 11+.

All the best