Dartford Grammar/St Olave's SCAF form & travel arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dell

Dartford Grammar/St Olave's SCAF form & travel arrangements

Post by dell »

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like some help from more (11+) experienced parents please. My DS scored 420 in Kent test and we are within the catchment area of Dartford Grammar for Boys. We are thinking of sitting St Olave's entry exam. Does anyone know if I put Dartford Grammar as my second choice will I still be considered for a place if my DS doesn't get a place at St Olave's?

My DS loved both schools but is keener on Dartford Grammar because he thinks St Olave's is far from home. So far I have not found any coach company who takes children from Dartford to St Olave's. I don't want to sound silly but daily commute from Dartford to St Olave's is my biggest worry. I have 2 children in primary school and work full time from 8.30 so it seems almost impossible task to get DS from Dartford to St Olave's, go back to Dartford for another school run and then go to work. Anyone out there who can offer some advice?
Tracy

Re: Dartford Grammar/St Olave's SCAF form & travel arrangeme

Post by Tracy »

May I suggest that you read your own post. :D
You both clearly want Dartford and it's your local school. If this is the case, why bother with anything else?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Choosing schools is difficult - more so when you sit with the CAF in front of you..

To answer the first point - If you put StO first and he does not get a place then DGS will become your first choice:

As for which school you want to be first

However if he DOES get StO ..... how will you feel?
Do you really want him to go there?
Have you visited them - which do you prefer?
Why were you keen on trying StO?
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

I too live in Dartford and my son attends DGS. I love the fact he can walk to school, he does not have to get up at the crack of dawn and has started and probably finished his homework by the time other boys that live a fair distance away, have got home.
The boys had an away rugby match this week, with a meet time of 7.30 on a Saturday morning......fine when you live locally, bleary eyed if you don't.
DGS is a fab school with wonderful opportunities.
I have experience of StO and TBH there is not a great deal of difference, just personal taste. My view when choosing for my DS, was, why go miles when there is the equivalent down the road! :D
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

For me this would be a straightforward decision - Dartford is a great school, it's near and your DS wants to go there - Dartford of course. Surely he couldn't get a better start to secondary school.

If it makes you feel any better, my friend and her DS fell in love with Dartford - they live an hour's commute away and are wrestling with the dilemma of whether it's too long a journey for him.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo Dell

I have 2 DSs at St Olave's and 1 DS at Dartford Grammar. They are both fantastic schools, but given your other considerations I would have no hesitation in recommending DGS. It can certainly hold its own against St Olaves!
dell

Post by dell »

Hello, just to let you know that DS has officially retired from the world of selective testing! DGS is our first choice. All we have to do now is to wait for the allocation day! Thank you for all your messages !!!
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

I'm really pleased to hear that - you sound really happy and I'm sure you've made the right decision. I hope he's very happy there.

Ps - my DS has retired too. We made our decision on Thurs, submitted the CAF and I have slept so well since. :D