study centre

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yummymummy

study centre

Post by yummymummy »

Hi guys,

Has anyone got any opinions on K**L based in Shirley, Solihull...am considering it for my DD, any information would be greatly appreciated.
sss

Re: study centre

Post by sss »

Hi yummymummy

Regarding K**L, we can only give our opinion regarding its year 4 online course. We found it basic, limited, monotonous & tedious I'm afraid to say. We have enquired about the year 5 course in depth & have decided that it's not for us as it will, we feel, not be that different to the year 4 online course. In fact we were told that the online questions will not contain comprehension type questions at all - which is very disappointing as this an important component of most 11+ exam formats.

Regards
sss
um

Post by um »

I think that (unlike rather a lot of other tuition centres) they do have a good idea of what they are doing and do it professionally.
They're genuine people and give good advice. Their mock tests are useful. They have some very inspirational tutors, but large classes.

Like the vast majority of tuition centres, they do not emphasise literacy and comprehension enough, given its weighting in the exam.

The most effective tuition for any child is obviously going to be one where they are in a very small group, and have a relationship with their tutor/peers and a more tailored, rather than generic, program.

I also know that most tuition centres don't actually assess pupils before taking them on...leading to your child sitting in a classroom with a lot of students who quite honestly are unlikely to be 'Grammar School material'. So also look for a tutor who only takes on pupils that are able enough going forward.

I am not convinced by most online tuition, given its extremely generic and obviously repetitive nature. It makes children work hard, not necessarily 'smart'. It doesn't really identify and work on weak areas, and your child could be sitting night after night working on topics they don't really need to...when that time would be better spent dealing with topics they need help with.
B......online do a similar online program for a fraction of the cost.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you um and sss for your replies! :D (though I didn't post the Q myself :wink: )

Does anyone know if the writing course at K..L (as mentionned in this thread) is any good? I know that the classes are quite large (16 or 18, I forgot, but that sounds a lot for a writing course :cry: ), but is the material used relevant and prepare well the children for their January exams?
succeed

Post by succeed »

Hi,

When my son was preparing for the 11+, I was also interested to see what these study centres had to offer and so researched the above centre quite thoroughly. We decided not to proceed due to the highly un_ inspiring content of the course . Far too much much of a 'one size fits all' philosophy to teaching, with work largely targeted to the 'lower end' of ability, where few pupils hadn't much chance of passing anyway. To be quite honest, I was quite shocked by the low value v massive profit being made. The 'generic' approach is clearly more cost effective for those running these centres and ensures all pupils leave quite happy in the knowledge they were all able to do the work.(as it is set at a low level!)

In the end, I decided to tutor my son myself. If this hadn't been possible, I would have found a private tutor, and I would advise others to do the same - particularly if there are issues in English, which really does need a more tailored approach.

Just to mention, on a different point, I was more staggered by the amount of money some parents were spending on tuition. Often to the tune of 7500 per yr. All this on top of paying to send them to indie preps. A real eye opener, I can tell you.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

succeed wrote:Far too much much of a 'one size fits all' philosophy to teaching, with work largely targeted to the 'lower end' of ability, where few pupils hadn't much chance of passing anyway.
Hi succeed!

That's certainly true, but at the same time, when I hear about tutors who refuse to teach children who are not 'bright enough', it does astound me! For me, the job of a tutor is to take a pupil from where he/she is and help him/her to flourish... with a pass or not at the end.

Am I wrong in thinking that way? Is it right for a tutor to refuse a child after having tested a child beginning of year 5? I think it is right if he tells the parents that the child may not have a lot a chance of passing but he will help him/her nevertheless. Or he/she might refuse pupils before any test taken just because she/he has no more places.
But I feel it is 'wrong' to refuse a child because his/her level is not adequate... And this is the reason why I am not too much interested in a tutor's 'pass rate', because it depends on the level of his pupils. It is sure that if a tutor just choose to teach the pupils who are bright and doing well at school, his pass rate will be higher than a tutor who do not do such a selection!
succeed wrote: If this hadn't been possible, I would have found a private tutor, and I would advise others to do the same - particularly if there are issues in English, which really does need a more tailored approach.
I totally agree with you... but it is not so easy to find a tutor!!! One can't always rely on what other people say. I remember when we arrived in Birmingham, some people recommanding us a secondary school where - really - I would not have liked my DD to go to!!! But for them, it was like getting the 'best girls school ' (it is a comprehensive). And recently, they were so happy that one of their friens DC had one or two As and a few Bs at GCSEs. Well , grammar school pupils get MANY A and A* and a few B, if not zero B!! They couldn't see that this particular child wouldn't be able to study at Birmingham uni for example where the requirements are rather high (at least for the competitve courses, I don't know for the others :oops: ). However, the GCSEs results of that particular child might have been veru exceptional in the school he attends... So it might really be an excellent achievement for that child due to the environment he is into!

Standards are very different from one person to the other... and it is all very confusing!
Hopefully, we are a bit like-minded people on this forum!! :D :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Does anybody's DC have experienced this writing course before and could give a testimony? :?:

Please! :D
succeed

Post by succeed »

Hi JaneEyre,

No, I don't think a tutor should refuse to tutor a child who doesn't appear to be very able. The problem is, for those that are quite able and have a good chance of grammar, the tuition at centres, in my opinion , is unable to cater sufficiently for their needs as the spread of work has to be accessible to the less able. This is fine if your child falls into this group, but if not, it's bad value for money as there is not enough stretch for the more able.
Yes, it is difficult to secure a tutor, but you can always 'try before you buy' so to speak . In any event, unless the tutor is completely out of touch with the 11 plus requirements, which is easy to assess, then I would suggest one to one tutoring is more beneficial to the less able. I don't think many tutors would turn down a child if the parents made it clear they were , primarily, requiring the tutor to help the child improve and meet their potential. I doubt many parents do this. Instead,more often than not, I suspect they will blame the tutor if the child doesn't pass.You do sound level headed though, Jane Eyre, and I'm sure you'll find the best way forward for your child. Good luck, it is very stressful, I know!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi all, very interesting thread.

I think it's ok for tutors to take on the 'brighter' children only, but do feel saddened for parents whose children have been knocked back. However, my strongest view is that 'no child should be tutored for eleven plus'. I have said this before and feel compelled to mention again. The whole thing has turned into a nightmarish money making scheme! I'm sick to the back teeth of posters appearing everywhere screaming out new numbers for tutors!

The Foundation should seriously look into making the exam tutor proof. No matter what they say, at the moment , not so naturally bright can still pass through heavy tuition.

I'm v tired right now, and I think my English isn't up to scratch, so I hope I've made sense in this post!!!
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

does your view also exclude able parents tutoring their own kids for not only 11+ but beyond?