Moving house...extreme or sensible?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nanny Ogg

Moving house...extreme or sensible?!

Post by Nanny Ogg »

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a few days! I have a daughter in year 5 who is very able academically, always above average with glowing school reports, etc. Her primary school does not encourage the 11+, or support selective schooling, however she has her heart set on grammar, and so we are doing some extra work towards 11+ at home, i.e. practice papers etc.

We have visited 3 schools this year: Haberdashers Crayford, Townley, and DGGS...both she and I fell more than a little in love with DGGS! Unfortunately, having read the school's admission criteria, it would take a miracle for her to get a place, as we're last on criteria, just missing out on the 1 mile catchment zone (we are 1.1 miles!), but coming under Bexley borough (despite having a postcode which defaults to 'Dartford' on postcode address finders!). Therefore I am finding myself thinking about moving house into the catchment zone (which could literally be the next street!!). Part of me thinks this will give the best chance of gaining a place at DGGS, results allowing, while part of me thinks I'm crazy for even considering it!

Has anybody been in a similar situation, if so, please share your experiences?

Many thanks

Nanny Ogg
:-)
T12ACY

Re: Moving house...extreme or sensible?!

Post by T12ACY »

Are you 1.1 miles on your calculation or that of the LA / School? I assume you know where the boundary is and are just outside of this, but being so close I would want to be sure I was not within it.....
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Floridafan

Post by Floridafan »

Firstly I would speak to school or KCC to get confirmation of exactly how far you are away ( I believe it's a direct line for DGSG........could they let you see a map showing this area???) I am aware of one family that did move to get within the 1 mile zone....but it's a massive step to take....

As you are aware , being o/s Dartford and it's Parishes leaves you relying on a top result otherwise.......but your DC could get a 410+ score

1. Is Townley that much different that you would consider spending thousands to move? I thought it was excellent, and had we lived closer to it, it would have been a hard choice to make.......

2. What happens in the (unlikely) event that the over subscription criteria change?

Good luck with what you decide to do......
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

A hard decison to make. We live just inside the Dartford Boundary and just needed a pass. DC's friends at same primary, who live in Bexley, a stones throw from our house needed extremely high scores. Therefore children at DCs' school (the Bexley residents) who were not high scorers opted for, or were allocated the Wilmington Grammars.
Sorry this does not help much, but have you considered Wilmington Grammar???
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I don't think it's mad to move, but be very clear what plan B would be if your child doesn't make the grade. What are non-selectives schools in the new catchment like compared with those where you are? What are the grammars like in your catchment? Also if you do move, would it be wise to move well within the catchment, so if it changes or if the pass rate is still over subscribed, you stand a proper chance of getting in. It owuld be awful to move a street away and then watch the boundary change.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

I heard Dartford grammar offer places to children living in Bromley - in the Downham area last year - some hope there for those within those areas.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Considering the high cost of buying and selling as well as the additional stress, would it not be easier to rent somewhere for a few months until the offers have been made. Nothing worse than moving opposite to the school to get a place and not passing. Regardless of how bright a child is she can always have a bad day.
malibu

Post by malibu »

dani* wrote:Considering the high cost of buying and selling as well as the additional stress, would it not be easier to rent somewhere for a few months until the offers have been made.
Is that OK to do? A friend of our's considered that, but thought that might be classed as a 'misleading' application... :wink:
dani*

Post by dani* »

Well at least that way you have not lost your house because of a school application. If it all works out you can still move to the right area for the school if you wish to do so. You could also rent your own property out for a while to cover the expense if needed and move back if/when you wish to do so. At least this way there is a way back.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Dani's idea is really good, especially if you only need to be a few streets away. So long as you stay there for long enough. People have had offers withdrawn if they only move for a few months. But if you are there until the end of her first term at the school, say, then you should be safe.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now