SCAF Advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ment2B_2000

SCAF Advice

Post by Ment2B_2000 »

Hi There,

Just in need of some impartial advice if anyone can assist.

My DD missed out on the 11+ by 8 points on the maths and was surprisingly unsuccessful in the HT's appeal also.

It is our intention to appeal, but in the meantime are required to make the difficult choice of listing our preferred schools on the SCAF form.

My questions are as follows:

1) We are considering listing all Grammar schools.....is this wise?
2) Should we list only High schools as she did not pass the 11+?
3) After being allocated a School in March can we appeal to however many Grammar schools we like?

Any assistance or previous experiences would be appreciated.
twinkles

Re: SCAF Advice

Post by twinkles »

You should list your choices of grammar or high school in the order that you want them, even though she did not pass the 11+.

You should list your first choice high school after the grammar schools as she will not get a place at the grammar schools as she did not pass and the high school then effectively becomes your first choice school. If you do not list a high school she could get allocated a high school anywhere in Kent.

You can appeal to all the grammars listed after allocation.

You can appeal to grammars not on your SCAF a little later on after allocation day (someone else will be along and give you definite details of this but I believe it is about a month after allocation day)
Ment2B_2000

Post by Ment2B_2000 »

Twinkles, thanks

I had read some information and had some advice from the school HT but just needed it broken down a little.
Your advice makes good sense.

So not sure if your the resident expert but at least 2 of the grammar schools are more then 7 miles away from where we live. 14.8 miles and 19.1 miles (as per google maps) respectively, would it be realistic to put these down in preparation for an appeal? we have no evidence that these schools have ever allocated a place this far out.

Also is it down to the school to reject a student re: distance or do KCC who have the final say in cases where appeals are upheld?.

Again any further nuggets of guidance from yourself or anyone in similar circumstances would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

No I am not the resident expert - far from it :lol:

There are others that know lots more than me re appeals and distance.

What part of Kent are you in? If it is West Kent then there is lots more competition than East Kent for example and you could be appealing for both non-quali and over- subscription.

You can put any grammars you like on your SCAF.

As far as I know and, if I have understood you correctly, if your appeal is upheld it, it is upheld no matter where you live in relation to the school.

As as I said earlier hopefully others will be along to give you more detailed advice.

Good luck with your appeal(s) - I have been there and done that two years ago (was not upheld unfortunately) so I know what you are going through.
Ment2B_2000

Post by Ment2B_2000 »

Twinkles, Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Don't be so modest, as you are the only one who has responded that makes you my expert :lol:

I'm In East Kent (Ashford) and hoping for either:

Highworth, Simon Langton or Invicta

Ok so my summary looks like this:

1) list schools in order of ACTUAL preference
2) Any high Schools even if No: 4 will become 1st choice as DD did'nt pass 11+
3) Any Grammars listed can be appealed after allocation
4) If Appeals are upheld (at 1 or more of the Grammar schools) Distance of our home to the School is IRRELEVANT

Seems about right I think.

Thanks for the well wishes, we are all a bit disappointed to be in this situation after being so so confident before the tests, but are equally hopeful for the appeals following a meeting with the HT and are all well up for the battle to come :)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Yes I agree with your points 1-3.

Point 4 I think is correct and am surprised others haven't been along to confirm or deny it.

What high school are you going to put (if you don't mind me asking)?

Well all I can say is appealing is incredibly stressful but there is lots of info and lots of people on this forum who will be able to help, it will certainly feel like a battle at times I am sure :wink:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

If an appeal is upheld then you will automatically be offered a place.
Ment2B_2000

Post by Ment2B_2000 »

It was advised to put down a high school and as high as number 2

We were loathed to have to put a High School, and even more perturbed having to put it so high with the possibility of hampering our chances of our preferred Grammars.

As a result though I think we are clearer now of how we will approach the form which is exactly what we wanted so thanks again.

The High School is likely to be Towers

I will be over to the appeals section at some stage just to make sure we stay on the right road every step of the way.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Someone else might say differently but I put the 'unwanted but necessary' high school first and then followed with my real choices. At 2 appeals I attended a couple of years back in East Kent neither wanted to know which order I had listed the school in, in fact the GS DS now attends wasn't even on it! (V long story.... with thread to match :lol: )

Good luck, you have plenty of time to collate all evidence needed and prepare your appeals. No doubt I will be around to comment on your questions along the way x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Ment2B_2000

Post by Ment2B_2000 »

mitasol wrote:If an appeal is upheld then you will automatically be offered a place.
Mitasol, So for each School we appeal against that panel will make the decision and either reject the appeal or instruct the school to offer the place?

And you could potentially be sitting there with several offers or several rejections respectively.

Any idea of the likelihood of the same panel members being at the different school panel hearings The Schools cover Ashford, Canterbury and Maidstone) and if so does it really matter (in a good or bad way)?

Starting to think my line of questioning is leaning towards the appeals section.....sorry :oops: