Appeal based on Bullying

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mallen

Appeal based on Bullying

Post by mallen »

My daughter failed her 11 plus by 7 points, however, I intend to appeal as she was bullied all of year 4 and half of year 5 until finally this child was removed from her classroom, following a long meeting with the head and chair of board of govenors. Her maths has now gone from a 3A in her Sats to a 5B, proving her concentration was severely affected. Can anyone give me some advice.
mallen

11 plus evidence - bullying

Post by mallen »

Following from my last post, we continuously visited the school and tried to resolve the situation, to no avail. We kept being told it was being dealt with but when you have a child who is crying at the school gates and will not get out of the car distraught at the thought of spending the day with this child, it did not look like it was being resolved to me. Numerous meetings with her teacher proved ineffective and it was only when I wrote to the board and spoke to a police liason officer that we finally had the result we needed. However, the damage had been done and my child had lost a year and a half of concentrated study. I believe she deserves the opportunity to go to grammer based on only missing by 7 points.
Etienne

Re: Appeal based on Bullying

Post by Etienne »

Your extenuating circumstances sound strong to me, and 'recent rapid progress' is a good argument at appeal.

However, bullying should not take up more than 50% of your appeal - you will need to present a very strong academic case too. This could be based on evidence that pre-dates the bullying, and on hard evidence of recent rapid progress in key subjects such as maths and English.

The wider the range of evidence, the better. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bearing in mind that any school you appeal for may be oversubscribed, you will also need to prepare good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question. See C2a:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You would be well-advised to study the Q&As as a whole:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mallen

Re: Appeal based on Bullying

Post by mallen »

Thank you for your comments, I will certainly look at the references you mention and obtain evidence regarding her rapid learning recovery, I have spoken to her year 6 teacher and she is going to keep any work she does in class, a recent maths test at 95% (5B) level is the first piece. I understand I only write an A4 page of facts and must not waffle, keeping the bullying to 50% of the case. This forum is of great help. She was so upset when she didnt pass, as she worked so hard in the last few months but obviously did not have quite enough time to catch up.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now