Who's home tutoring for indies?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

Who's home tutoring for indies?

Post by menagerie »

And why? Just want to get some opinions. We have a tutored book from January but I'm not 100% sold on her. I've really enjoyed tutoring DS myself up to now, and am also a tutor anyway, for English, comprehension and creative writing.

I don't want to make a false economy by not going with the tutor, but equally, don't want to pay £3000 for something I could do myself.

What are your thoughts?
yoyo123

Re: Who's home tutoring for indies?

Post by yoyo123 »

If you are keen to do it and your son is happy to have you teach him, then go for it, especially if you are not 100% sold on the tutor.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

I'm home tutoring and our indie entrance test is 2nd December. We're using Bond English, Maths, VR and NVR papers and 10 min tests. We started in March, only 6 weeks to go. DD has improved in all areas and now feels really confident of her ability to pass. I've enjoyed working with her too, so it's been a win-win so far. Can't beleive I've just written that, because it's also been the most stressful thing I've ever done, and I have pulled my hair out so much when it's been going badly. Just come off the back of a good weekend when DD scored over 90% in all 4 papers, so maybe my glasses are a bit rose tinted this week!!My pocket won't stretch to a tutor, so I had no choice but to do it myself. Only time will tell if it worked!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

That's great news, Tailsmo. Well done to her on her practise runs and good luck in the exams. I know what you mean. It's quite a ride. When it goes badly I berate myself for caring and showing it, whereas a tutor would stay calm. But when it goes well, it brings us really close together, and they enjoy it. I've seen their confidence rocket.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

You're so right, Menagerie! That's what tutors are being paid for - their ability to stay calm :lol:
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

We home tutored our kids and they got in but it was close. If we had to do it again I would hire a tutor familiar with the school in question during the home stretch i.e. about a month before the exam.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

You've popped my bubble now, PushyDad :(
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Tailsmo wrote:I'm home tutoring and our indie entrance test is 2nd December. We're using Bond English, Maths, VR and NVR papers and 10 min tests.
Tailsmo & others...

What you've shared about your daughter's progress is very encouraging. I am wondering if you'd tell me your sources for the prep materials? I am an American living abroad in South America, so I am trying to get a better understanding of the world of British education! Point being that I don't know which are the best curricula for test preparation, and I have no idea what the tests are actually like.

Thanks much! :)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

mama - it hugely depends on which schools you want your DC to sit for. Work that out first, then work out what the entry test requirements are. After that, you'll get first class advice on here as to which papers to use. E.g. Bond are great for all rounders, but no point in using them for certain 11+ exams as they cover lots of ground that isn't tested in many counties.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Hi Mama! The books we're using just come from our local bookshop. Our indie school doesn't issue past papers, but the entrance tests cover all 4 subjects, so I looked and just went with what seemed good in the bookshop. This site has been invaluable, supportive, funny and inspirational. I'm completely new at this task, as we are not in an 11+ area, and I only started considering an indep school in March this year.

Good luck with your journey!