Uni Applications down for 2012!

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

XCRGSMUM

Uni Applications down for 2012!

Post by XCRGSMUM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15430180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise there then! :roll: :)
Guest55

Re: Uni Applications down for 2012!

Post by Guest55 »

It's a bit early to draw conclusions as applications do not close until January 2012 ....
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

When they've made financial changes in the past, applications went down in the first year but rose and continued growing in subsequent years. It is still early days.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Good to hear that they are extending the information system that is supposedly already in place, so that students can make an informed choice. Pity they didn't think to ensure it was already up and running by the October 15th deadline this year so that those making choices for 2012 could have benefited from it.

The whole thing has been a completely rushed through shambles. :evil:
Marylou
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

I don`t know of any youngsters who left school this summer (intending to go to uni) who took a gap year, add to that plenty of mature students who were thinking of going to uni, made up their minds and applied for 2011 entry, then with all the messing around and increase in fees as a deterrent for 2012, it is hardly surprising that early indications suggest a drop in applications.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out and what the effect is on Uni study over the next few years. I do feel very sorry for potential students, and their parents at the present time, its not a good situation. I am very grateful the last of my children went this year!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think applications are already down on this time last year, according to the admissions tutor we spoke to at Kent.
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

Agree with XCRG. Has anyone seen data comparing the application numbers comparing entry 2010 -11 with this year rather than last year as last years application rates were slewed with 18 year olds going straight to university rather than having a gap year and others trying to avoid the fees increase. This would be a much more useful comparison.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

One thing worth pointing out is that the fee increase was announced just after or very close to the 15th October deadline last year, which means that anyone wanting courses requiring application before that date and who were already planning to take a gap year would have made the decision already. This means that the comparison figures for Oxbridge and Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary ought to be fairly reliable.
Marylou
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

More on this here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

Another interesting article!

It makes sense that the courses most likely to lead to employment in good jobs, ie medicine, will suffer least. Also that the 'top' unis from which a degree carries prestige will remain fully subscribed.