Should I Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worried Mum

Should I Appeal?

Post by Worried Mum »

Hi, I'm back again after 4 years, we got our results last week and my son scored exactly 360 which is the threshold pass mark, with 135 VR, but 113 NVR and 112 Maths (when the pass mark is 119 for Kent).

He was working at level 3 at end of year 2 in all subjects and was on all level 4's at the end of year 4. He has a reading age of 13+ and is predicted level 5 SAT's for year 6 with maths being his strongest subject. HT didn't appeal as they couldn't provide a strong enough case with two scores being below 119.

Thanks

Worried Mum
Etienne

Re: Should I Appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back - a mixed blessing!

Is there a reason for not mentioning CATs? :)
Etienne
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thanks!

No reason, only that I can't remember them exactly! The primary school don't seem to put much emphasis on them and we are only given them verbally at Year 5 parent consultation, but if I remember correctly, VR was high but maths and NVR were average.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Much might also depend on which school / area you are hoping for. My DS failed 2 of the 3 KT's, NVR and Maths 2 years ago. He is now at a GS I hadn't previously considered after having a failed appeal to our initial choice, but doing very well. Particularly with Maths where he is level 6A at the start of Y8. He is firmly in the middle when it comes to 'setting' and really happy, so that's good enough for us to know we did the right thing.

I would say there is the wider picture to consider. Is there a good alternative option to GS and is your only option to appeal to a very over subscribed school? If it is the chances are slim to be realistic, but it is not impossible!

Good luck, if you decide to go for it you know from experience this is a great resource to help you :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Worried Mum

Appeals can be unpredictable, so if in doubt I would always appeal (bearing in mind that appeals for some schools might be very much tougher than for others!).

Your curriculum evidence sounds fine, but if you want to put forward a really good case, in your particular situation I would be looking for:
1. Very high NVR and Quantitative Reasoning scores in CATs or a very high NVR score in ed. psych. tests (preferably both) as evidence of reasoning ability.
2. Really strong support from the current headteacher.
3. Some very good reasons for wanting a place at the grammar school being appealed for.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just how 'average' were the scores for CAT NVR and QR, I wonder? We could be talking about anything from 89 to 111. The lower the score, the harder it would be for a good ed. psych. result (assuming there were one) to compensate for it.

You need to establish just how strongly your headteacher would support any appeal, and whether the CAT scores will be referred to.
Etienne
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thanks for the reply Etienne. I doubt I would get much support from the head as she didn't appeal for him in the first place, it's the first year she actually did HT appeals, maybe because the school has just been placed in special measures. I'm sure the class teacher would give me predictions for level 5 SATs.
Re the CAT's, around the 109/110 mark rings a bell for NVR/Maths, I know I wrote them down at the time but can't find them!!
The alternative high school is quite good and improving but quite a few parent appeals went through last year at the GS, I'm told they were under subscribed.
My son is OK about things and seems to have accepted the alternative but I feel a bit let down, especially as he's done so well all the way through.

Glad your son is doing well T12ACY, we appealed for my elder son too in 2007 after getting 140 NVR, 121 VR and 113 maths (2 marks below), but this was a very close score with no HT appeal, needless to say we were successful! Not convinced this time, everyone says give it a go as nothing to lose!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Just guessing but if you are in EK and the GS is under subscribed and you are certain it's the right school for DS I would give it a go. You have nothing to lose and would always wonder 'what if' should you not try.

With 2 failing tests you need to have really good evidence of ability and firm supporting evidence from HT / Form Teacher. At our primary the HT was supportive and allowed me to approach the Form Teacher as well, something which may be frowned upon if you do not clear with the HT.... politics!

You can ask the school for CAT scores again, I did as it never occurred to me I would ever need them so mislaid them after parents evening :? but I would recommend you carefully consider what you need to avoid keep going back to them and ask in one letter. You do have plenty of time. I didn't even start to prepare my appeal until around February time and a lot can change between now and then, grades included.

Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Tracy. Some heads will support a statutory appeal, even if they didn't previously support an internal review (i.e. the headteacher appeal where there may be very specific criteria to be met). It's worth sounding out your head, and also asking whether she would have any objection to your approaching the class teacher.

If the grammar school is undersubscribed, the situation (if you can get over the 'qualification hurdle') is a lot more favourable than if you were trying for a heavily oversubscribed superselective!
Etienne
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thanks for your help and support ladies.

I'll complete my SCAF online and name the GS as third choice then take it from there, we have a few months to wait before the process can begin don't we? When I appealed for my older son I approached the "same" class teacher (who is also year group leader) and had no problem getting a letter from him so I will try again. Should I approach him now or wait until nearer the time?

In the meantime I will endeavour to find the CAT scores which I know I wrote down! Would the year 2 school reports showing level 3 help?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'll complete my SCAF online and name the GS as third choice
OK, if the grammar school is genuinely your 3rd pref. If it's the grammar school you really want, however, better to put it first. It would probably help your appeal to be able to say "This is the school we've always wanted and are totally committed to!"
we have a few months to wait before the process can begin don't we?
Yes, I would have thought you'd be submitting an appeal in March.
When I appealed for my older son I approached the "same" class teacher (who is also year group leader) and had no problem getting a letter from him so I will try again.
Good!
Should I approach him now or wait until nearer the time?
You could 'sound him out' now, but don't ask him to do anything until much nearer the time, as his written support should be as up to date as possible.
Would the year 2 school reports showing level 3 help?
Yes, level 3 at KS1 is quite a good indication of GS standard.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now