1st and 2nd choice grammar schools on CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
marymary

1st and 2nd choice grammar schools on CAF

Post by marymary »

Really struggling with making my final decision on CAF form. SHS is our local school but she just scraped a pass and is in the 260s in rank. Her Ribston score is 217 which I've been told by school is pretty much a guarranteed place. My DD loves both schools but really loves Ribston but SHS is so much easier and she has a sister there too. Also, if she finds in March that all her friends are going to SHS she may change her mind and slightly favour SHS. I want to give her the best chance of going to the school she wants and appealing to SHS is still an option too. My worry is if I put SHS down as 1st choice and Ribston 2nd do I run the risk of not getting either? I feel I have to put SHS 1st in the slim chance we get in and also to increase our chances of winning an appeal should DD really want to go down that route. However, am I turning the dead cert Ribston place into a maybe place? What makes it so difficult is that both schools are great and its only the locality of SHS which is edging it for us. Help!!!
Dixon

Re: 1st and 2nd choice grammar schools on CAF

Post by Dixon »

If you put SHS as your first and Ribston as second and you are unsuccessful with SHS, Ribston becomes your first choice. You won't lose out by doing this however if you put Ribston as your first and SHS as your second, the chances are you will get Ribston. I hope this helps. Decisions, decisions!
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

I think you have to just put your DD's first choice first and second choice second.
Looking at other posts about SHS, then 260s rank may not be enough to get you an offer of a place on 1st March if you put it first, but putting Ribston second with a score of 217 would have got your DD a place in previous years (as no offer from SHS would automatically have made Ribston your first choice)

Good luck to your DD whichever you decide - they are both great schools and sure she will be happy and do well wherever she goes.
marymary

Post by marymary »

Thanks for advice. I am still unclear about the 2nd choice issue. Does n't the 2nd choice only become 1st choice after all the people with it down as a 1st choice get a place? In which case, if too many girls have put Rib as their 1st choice we may not get that either. It's so confusing and time's running out!!!
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

No 2nd choice becomes 1st choice if you don't get your 1st, then you are put in same group as all those who now (and even put say ribston ) 1st, they then put you in order at same time. You don't get put to the end of the line and given a place if any left over, that's not how it works.
You are considered all together!
The big decision is choosing the right school for your daughter!
marymary

Post by marymary »

Thanks that s made it clear finally. It would have been easier if my DD hated one of them but she loves both schools which has nade the decision harder for me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now