Postal Scam

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T12ACY

Postal Scam

Post by T12ACY »

Am sure some of you may have seen this already via emails, but here is the text just in case!

Postal Scam:

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact the m on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.
For more information, see the Crime Stoppers website:
http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-p ... ivery-scam
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
scary mum

Re: Postal Scam

Post by scary mum »

According to Snopes this was resolved in 2005, but this email continues to circulate:
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

They do however point out that this is an easy fraud and could easily pop up again, so people should be aware of it.
scary mum
cairo

Re: Postal Scam

Post by cairo »

I had this card put through my door just before Xmas last year. I had been expecting a parcel but fortunately didn't ring the number because it had no address printed on it and just a premium rate telephone number which seemed suspicious to me, so googled it and discovered it was a scam.

The Royal Mail Fraud team were surprised this had re-emerged because they thought they'd dealt with it years ago. They telephoned the number printed & it was disconnected: but I was glad they made the phone call, not me!