Tuition Fees

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Tuition Fees

Post by Looking for help »

Does anyone know if by doing a foundation degree (paid for by employer) this now excludes you from accessing tuition fees for transferring to a new undergraduate degree by it counting as a second degree?

On another note...can someone who has had loans for their undergraduate course get a loan for a PGCE qualification, or does that now also count as a second degree and is therefore excluded?

Thank you :D
pheasantchick

Re: Tuition Fees

Post by pheasantchick »

I don't know you answer, but I believe that the website, Moneysavingexpert.com (of Martyn Lewis fame) gives good advice on student loans and fees.
Looking for help

Thanks PC - I had a quick look, but it's all mainly about the loans themselves, not so much about eligiblity.

Interestingly I didn't know this bit either

The Guaranteed bit. Up to 65% of the maximum living cost loan will be available to everyone in 2012 regardless of their parental income (for 2011 starters it's 72%).

So not only do the tuition fees rise to ridiculous levels, the loan you can get for maintenance is reduced considerably (esp considering increases in food and fuel inflation we are seeing). So once again it is those squeezed in the middle in every direction that get hurt the most.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi LFH, all PGCE students are eligible for loans for tuition fees. You can also apply for loans to cover living costs if you’re under 60, I believe. :D

The former is independent of income, the latter isn’t. HTH

I don’t know the answer to your first question, I’m afraid.
Looking for help

Cheers, Rob, thank you :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now